Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Tanner, Don" <DT...@bgmi.com> on 2001/11/13 19:34:17 UTC

Generating .keystore does not work

Hi there!!
We are using Tomcat 4.0.1 on Solaris 8.
We have been attempting to get SSL to work on Tomcat by following the
document @ http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/ssl-howto.html.
When we run $JAVA_HOME/bin/keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA this is
what happens:

 ./keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA
Enter keystore password:  changeit
keytool error: KeyPairGenerator not available

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

The opinions expressed above are probably mine but not necessarily the
opinions of my employers. In order to prevent possible injury to yourself,
or your computer, and to ensure readability, please do not smoke, eat,
drink, spindle, bend, fold, staple, or mutilate this e-mail message.

Re: Generating .keystore does not work

Posted by Sachin Pandey <sa...@nuix.com.au>.
Which version of JDK are u using?

Sun's JDK comes along with the KeyPairGenerator in the form of sunrsasign.jar
in the jre/lib directory.

The IBM's jdk doesn't come along with the RSA provider so u have to put the
sunrsasign.jar in the jre/lib/ext directory and edit the java.security file
to include that

security.provider.3=com.sun.rsajca.Provider

Hope that helps

Cheers
Sachin

Re: Generating .keystore does not work

Posted by Richard Troy <rt...@ScienceTools.com>.

Yes, I found that problem too, also on Solaris, when I installed TC 3.2.3.
It has _nothing_ to do with Tomcat. It was a known bug with JDK. I got
another release and it worked fine.  ...  I seem to recall I'm using
1.3.01.

Good luck,
RT

--