Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Vladimir Ozerov <vo...@gridgain.com> on 2018/05/07 08:22:33 UTC

Migration guide

Igniters,

We try to maintain API compatibility and keep default behavior unchanged
between minor releases. But as product evolves, some APIs become
deprecated, new best practices appear, and some defaults are changed.

We had a talk with Andrey Gura and he suggested to add *"Migration Guide"*
to our release cycle. This is a document where we will list all important
changes since the last version and our recommendations how to use them. If
done properly this should speedup adoption of new features and migration to
newer versions.

Here are several examples from other vendors:
1) Hibernate -
https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/wiki/Migration-Guide---5.2
2) Play - https://www.playframework.com/documentation/2.6.x/Migration26

I propose to start creating migration guides since the next release, Apache
Ignite 2.6.

For now let's decide whether community supports this idea, and if yes - how
to publish it. I would propose to do it as follows:
1) Add MIGRATION_GUIDE document next to RELEASE_NOTES. This document should
be updated by contributors during development.
2) After release: publish separate page next to release notes [1]
3) Add links to migration guide to download page [2]

Please share your thoughts.

Vladimir.

[1] https://ignite.apache.org/releases/2.4.0/release_notes.html
[2] https://ignite.apache.org/download.cgi

Re: Migration guide

Posted by Dmitry Pavlov <dp...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me to approach (co-locating migration guide and main documentation).

Re: Migration guide

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Vladimir,

Here is you can find a short summary on the planned migration:

This discussion goes with more details:
http://apache-ignite-developers.2346864.n4.nabble.com/Move-documentation-from-readme-io-to-GitHub-pages-td16409.html

--
Denis