Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Aurelien Pernoud <ap...@sopragroup.com> on 2002/02/01 14:31:27 UTC

Multiple Instances of same portlet ? (bug ?)

Hi all,
I'm new to Jetspeed and Portlets, and been testing it for a while.
I have issues with multiple instances of the same portlet.
I made my own "testing" portlet (from AbstractProtlet), wich displays
informations such as :
Title, Name, Class, Title of the PortletSet, Name of all the portles inside
the portletset...

It works fine, but when I try to use this portlet more than one time, It
doesn't work the way I'd like.

Here is myportlet.xreg :
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<registry>
    <portlet-entry name="Bug" hidden="false" type="instance"
application="false">
            <title>Title Bug</title>
            <description>Demo du Bug</description>
        <classname>portal.portlets.MyPortlet</classname>
        <media-type ref="html"/>
    </portlet-entry>
    <portlet-entry name="Essai" hidden="false" type="instance"
application="false">
            <title>Title Essai</title>
            <description>Portlet de base</description>
        <classname>portal.portlets.MyPortlet</classname>
        <media-type ref="html"/>
    </portlet-entry>
</registry>

The way I understood it, the two portlets should not interact ?
(type=instance is the way to do it ??)

But when I use both of them, inside the same pane or in different panes,
they both will display that their name is "Bug" BUT they show their own
title (i.e "Title Bug" or "Title Essai")... Then I have issues with controls
(minimize make both portlets get minimized or only one but not the good
one..., sometimes even one of the portlet may simply not be displayed...).

I don't get what I'm missing, and I didn't find any related bugs...
(but I'm new to using bugzilla and the mail-archive so maybe there is
information I didn't find)

If anyone can help.

Thanks,
Aurélien.

Re: Multiple Instances of same portlet ? (bug ?)

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Its a known design 'feature'  that you cant have the same portlet more than
once per page.
I believe the current advice is to enter multiple portlet-refs in the
registry.

We are considering alternative approaches, such as a unique id to identify
each portlet, but no one has stepped up to implement it yet

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>