Posted to user@roller.apache.org by Dick Davies <ra...@hellooperator.net> on 2008/09/28 08:19:58 UTC

RFE: don't let users choose a planet theme?

Is there a way to limit what themes appear in the theme selector for a
users blog?
Currently the themes we designed for our planet show up there too, but if users
pick them they obviously don't work. Any workarounds?

--
Rasputnik :: Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns
http://number9.hellooperator.net/

Re: RFE: don't let users choose a planet theme?

Posted by Dick Davies <ra...@hellooperator.net>.
On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 5:21 PM, Dave <sn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 8:19 AM, Dick Davies
> <ra...@hellooperator.net> wrote:
>> Is there a way to limit what themes appear in the theme selector for a
>> users blog?
>
> Yes, that is a good feature idea.
>
> I guess we could add a field to the theme.xml format for setting theme
> type and then only show themes of type "Front Page" to admin users.

Thanks Dave; I've filed https://issues.apache.org/roller/browse/ROL-1751
to request it.

>> Currently the themes we designed for our planet show up there too, but if users
>> pick them they obviously don't work. Any workarounds?
>
> Here is a work around:
> 1) set the Front Page theme for your front page blog
> 2) choose customize on the Front Page theme (this will create your own
> copy of the theme)
> 3) remove the Front Page theme from the '/themes' directory.
>
> Your front page blog will still work because, in Roller 4.0 we made
> sure that blog themes are completely encapsulated. When you customize
> a theme, the theme files are copied to your blog's database tables and
> the themes resources (style, script and image files) are copied to
> your blog's file upload area. So, they will persist even after you
> delete the theme.

I'll see how much of a pain this is causing for the users before going
down that route but it's good to have the option. Thanks!

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
<ra...@hellooperator.net> wrote:
> Is there a way to limit what themes appear in the theme selector for a
> users blog?

Yes, that is a good feature idea.

I guess we could add a field to the theme.xml format for setting theme
type and then only show themes of type "Front Page" to admin users.

> Currently the themes we designed for our planet show up there too, but if users
> pick them they obviously don't work. Any workarounds?

Here is a work around:
1) set the Front Page theme for your front page blog
2) choose customize on the Front Page theme (this will create your own
copy of the theme)
3) remove the Front Page theme from the '/themes' directory.

Your front page blog will still work because, in Roller 4.0 we made
sure that blog themes are completely encapsulated. When you customize
a theme, the theme files are copied to your blog's database tables and
the themes resources (style, script and image files) are copied to
your blog's file upload area. So, they will persist even after you
delete the theme.

- Dave