Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Leffingwell, Jonathan R CTR FRCSE, JAX 7.2.2" <jo...@navy.mil> on 2011/07/22 16:54:11 UTC

Web app running on http, not on https

Before I copy and paste any configs (such as httpd.conf and httpd-ssl.conf), let me throw this out there and see if you guys can at least point me in the right direction.

Environment
===========
Apache 2.2.19, installed with mod_jk (latest connector) and mod_ssl (enabled with Apache's compile).

Tomcat 6.0.32, running on port 8081.

Apache is listening on port 80 (for non-SSL) and on port 443 (for SSL).

I've got a web app on Tomcat.  We'll call it "myWebApp".

I've got the needed certificate for SSL, verified to be working properly.

I've got mod_jk, workers.properties, etc., set up to route calls to Tomcat.  In other words, "http://localhost/myWebApp" properly pulls up myWebApp, without me needing to specify Tomcat port 8081.  Although if I go to "http://localhost:8081/myWebApp", it works the same way.  Obviously, mod_jk is doing its job.

Problem
=======
Here's where it gets lost on me...

If I type "http://localhost", I get the expected "It works!" Apache page.  Cool.

If I type "https://localhost", I get the expected "It works!" Apache page.  Cool.

If I type "http://localhost/myWebApp", I get the expected result of my web app coming up.  Cool.

If I type "https://localhost/myWebApp", I get an unexpected 404 error: "Not Found. The requested URL /myWebApp was not found on this server."  NOT COOL!

I think I'm probably missing something small (in terms of effort, not impact). I'll be happy to send any logs or config files, if need be.  I just wanted to see if someone could tell at first blush, before I go through the trouble of copying each log or conf file.

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan

P.S.  Thanks to all who advised me on compiling Apache and mod_jk.  Worked great!

RE: Web app running on http, not on https

Posted by "Leffingwell, Jonathan R CTR FRCSE, JAX 7.2.2" <jo...@navy.mil>.
That was it, Mark.  It's all good now!

You da man!  :-)

Jonathan

On 22/07/2011 15:54, Leffingwell, Jonathan R CTR FRCSE, JAX 7.2.2 wrote:
> If I type "https://localhost/myWebApp", I get an unexpected 404
> error: "Not Found. The requested URL /myWebApp was not found on this
> server."  NOT COOL!

At a guess, you have forgotten that mod_jk config is *per virtual host*
and haven't configured the SSL virtual host. See JkMountCopy in the docs.

Mark

Re: Web app running on http, not on https

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by chris derham <ch...@derham.me.uk>.
> If I type "http://localhost", I get the expected "It works!" Apache page.
>  Cool.

Apache works on port 80

> If I type "https://localhost", I get the expected "It works!" Apache page.
>  Cool.

Apache works on port 443

> If I type "http://localhost/myWebApp", I get the expected result of my web
> app coming up.  Cool.

Apache forwarding to tomcat on port 80

> If I type "https://localhost/myWebApp", I get an unexpected 404 error:
> "Not Found. The requested URL /myWebApp was not found on this server."  NOT
> COOL!

Apache not forwarding to tomcat on port 443

We'd need to see the relevant config where you forward to tomcat to help any
further

Chris