Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2004/11/02 02:29:32 UTC

What do we do with "beanutils"?

we call it "beanutils-core" and maven calls it "beanutils". Should I go
ahead and unify the two or anybody has a better idea?

--
Stefano.

Re: What do we do with "beanutils"?

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On 8 Nov 2004, at 23:58, Brett Porter wrote:

> I've been meaning to reply to this in kind.
>
> If a project splits itself into three, should gump really try and map
> projects depending on an older version to these? I know you are
> experimenting with the latest and greatest, but this might be the
> point where you start maintaining beanutils-1.6.x and
> beanutils-*-1.7.x in gump and projects can migrate on their own (gump
> could encourage those left on the old one to do so, but not require it
> to keep running).

this was discussed at the time and the consensus was that the right
thing for gump to do was to move everyone onto the new jar's. (unless
i've missed something) gump's always aimed at bringing the latest and
greatest code together.

a primary reason why beanutils was split into a modular jar system was
so that gump (and anyone else trying to use the latest versions) would
not run into difficulties with the two incompatible series of commons
collections releases. at the time, it seemed best to migrate all
projects (rather than having rely on nagging messages) and i think that
this decision has been proved right.

i suppose that the bigger issue is who owns the gump descriptors: the
individual projects or gump...

- robert

Re: What do we do with "beanutils"?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
I've been meaning to reply to this in kind.

If a project splits itself into three, should gump really try and map
projects depending on an older version to these? I know you are
experimenting with the latest and greatest, but this might be the
point where you start maintaining beanutils-1.6.x and
beanutils-*-1.7.x in gump and projects can migrate on their own (gump
could encourage those left on the old one to do so, but not require it
to keep running).

- Brett

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
FWIW, part of Jelly uses commons-beanutils-collections.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
> > - projects declare any aliases in their gump descriptor (and Maven
> > allows that in the POM so it can generate the descriptor for
> > them). So beanutils-core has an alias of beanutils
>
> I understand the part about projects declaring aliases (we may even
> need to do that on the artifact level IMHO).  I don't understand why
> Maven needs to know about those at all - other than the Gump plugin,
> maybe.

I'm thinking of the case where a project name changes, and the aliases
are project metadata. I'm not talking about gump names changing - I'm
talking about the artifactID changing over time (as was the case with
beanutils).

> I'm absolutely willing to maintain these aliases on an
> as-needed basis.

That sounds like the 3rd solution, however it seems the 1st worked anyway :)

> > - we don't do anything. When a project changes name, they accept
> > they are going to break projects and they have to catch
> > up.
>
> But have the projects chosen the name?  I mean, is it the project's
> fault if the name we (Gump) assign to it and the one Maven uses for it
> are different?  Has the project itself any say in either of both?

Sorry for mixing up words,  Iwas talking about artifactId that the
project chooses.

- Brett

Re: What do we do with "beanutils"?

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> It's been my understanding that right now the artifact id is more
> important than the project name.  Is this wrong?
>
> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>- gump has a dummy project "beanutils" that depends just on
>>beanutils-core. I don't think this works with Maven though.
>

> If it works for Maven, then let's just do that since it is the least
> intrusive.

Already done. ;-)

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
It's been my understanding that right now the artifact id is more
important than the project name.  Is this wrong?

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com> wrote:

> - gump has a dummy project "beanutils" that depends just on
> beanutils-core. I don't think this works with Maven though.

If it works for Maven, then let's just do that since it is the least
intrusive.

> - projects declare any aliases in their gump descriptor (and Maven
> allows that in the POM so it can generate the descriptor for
> them). So beanutils-core has an alias of beanutils

I understand the part about projects declaring aliases (we may even
need to do that on the artifact level IMHO).  I don't understand why
Maven needs to know about those at all - other than the Gump plugin,
maybe.  I'm absolutely willing to maintain these aliases on an
as-needed basis.

> - we don't do anything. When a project changes name, they accept
> they are going to break projects and they have to catch
> up.

But have the projects chosen the name?  I mean, is it the project's
fault if the name we (Gump) assign to it and the one Maven uses for it
are different?  Has the project itself any say in either of both?

Stefan

RE: What do we do with "beanutils"?

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>.
Brett,
It seems like #2 is the cleanest way regardless of how the details of it are
implemented.

If the POM change is too much, we could just add the various "alias" names
to project.properties.  Or, alternatively, say tough luck, you changed your
name, Maven can't generate the Gump descriptor.

#3 seems like if we are to do that, then the gump plugin should really move
to gump CVS so that gump people can maintain this plugin.  Or, at least,
dynamically pull in the mapping file from Gump's website/cvs.

I'd argue that tracking that kind of thing is a useful beyond just Gump
anyway and should be in the POM.   I have a versions plugin that checks if
you have the latest and greatest of an artifact.  But, if the artifact
changes names, there is no repo for that data.

Eric

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.