Posted to user@drill.apache.org by Arjun Rao <sp...@gmail.com> on 2018/07/26 15:45:03 UTC

Apache Drill on Kubernetes

Hi,
I am new to this forum and am excited to use Drill. This might have been
discussed in the past but I wanted to know if Apache Drill can be run on
Kubernetes and if not, if it's on the roadmap for Drill?

Appreciate the help!

Best,
Arjun

Re: Apache Drill on Kubernetes

Posted by Abhishek Girish <ag...@apache.org>.
@Arjun, sure. I've not faced the need for any changes for drillbit
discovery. Internally at MapR, we are using Helm charts for deployment -
for both on-prem and on GKE. For on-prem, we use Weave Net for networking
(plus a few other configurations shared on the K8S docs). We've also made
sure to automate ZK discovery - which helps avoiding manual config. The
GitHub repo I shared only has some basic support for Apache Drill on K8S
(it should still work out of the box - with limited manual config). I'll
work on updating the repo soon.

And yes, as we make progress with the official support into Drill, your
help will be appreciated. Will be tracked by DRILL-6598
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DRILL-6598>

Posted by Arjun Rao <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Omernik <jo...@omernik.com>.

Posted by Abhishek Girish <ag...@apache.org>.
Hey everyone,

Posted by Saurabh Mahapatra <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hey Arjun,

Is the need for kubernetes a top down requirement in your architecture?

John is right when it comes to running Drill inside a container. But there was some talk of addressing the other problem which is whether K8 can be a resource manager for multiple Drill clusters...an alternative to splitting up interactive and batch loads. I know this has been done within a YARN setting.

Posted by John Omernik <jo...@omernik.com>.