Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by howard chen <ho...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/17 12:40:18 UTC

HTTP Extreme Load Testing

Hi,

I am using JMeter to test my CGI program. (HTTPSampler)

I want to simulate large amount of user load, so I set:

num_threads = 2000
loops = 1000

During the test, I check using the `top` command:

=====================

19099 root      25   0  578m 149m  10m S 72.5  3.7   0:20.50 java
=====================

1. Seems JMeter is not using all my resources to do the testing? (i.e.
some portion of memory does into virtual)
2. I am using the command: jakarta-jmeter-2.3.2/bin/jmeter -n -t
test.jmx -l test.jtl

Are there any stuff I can improve me testing?

p.s. I remember there might be something like maxHeap in the Java
command, but I am not sure.

Thanks.

Re: HTTP Extreme Load Testing

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 19/09/2008, howard chen <ho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

>  On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 11:55 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > Use CSV output format - it's much cheaper to read.
>  >

> Thanks first.
>
>  Do you mean in the aggregated report, choose CSV output rather than XML?

I meant to set CSV output in the properties file so that the file
created by "-l test.jtl" is in CSV format.

>  In fact, I just want the final result such as req/sec, %
>  success/error, I don't need the whole test log.

In that case, consider using a Summariser:

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#Generate_Summary_Results

and dispensing with the JTL files.

Posted by howard chen <ho...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by howard chen <ho...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 17/09/2008, howard chen <ho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I am using JMeter to test my CGI program. (HTTPSampler)
>
>  I want to simulate large amount of user load, so I set:
>
>  num_threads = 2000
>  loops = 1000
>
>  During the test, I check using the `top` command:
>
>  =====================
>
>   PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
>  19099 root      25   0  578m 149m  10m S 72.5  3.7   0:20.50 java
>  =====================
>
>  1. Seems JMeter is not using all my resources to do the testing? (i.e.
>  some portion of memory does into virtual)

Not sure what the problem is here - if JMeter is not using all
resources perhaps it does not need them.

You could try running JMeter on a system with fewer resources ;-)

>  2. I am using the command: jakarta-jmeter-2.3.2/bin/jmeter -n -t
>  test.jmx -l test.jtl

That's fine.

>  Are there any stuff I can improve me testing?
>
>  p.s. I remember there might be something like maxHeap in the Java
>  command, but I am not sure.

Read the Java docs; there's some info in the jmeter script files.