Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Utkarsh Dave <ut...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/01 05:17:39 UTC

Logging framework !

Hi All,

I am using Tomcat 7.0.81 on centos 7.2 and using openjdk 1.7.0.141.
The problem I am seeing recently is manager*.log and localhost*.log files
are not created. Instead, I see the messages that were to be written into,
manager.log are going into Catalina.out. catalina.out and
localhost_access.log continue to work like before.
May I know how and from where to start debugging this?
I have verified logging.properties, there is no issue with it.

Any help will be appreciable.

-Thanks
Dave

Re: Logging framework !

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
> Hi All,
>
> I am using Tomcat 7.0.81 on centos 7.2 and using openjdk 1.7.0.141.
> The problem I am seeing recently is manager*.log and localhost*.log files
> are not created. Instead, I see the messages that were to be written into,
> manager.log are going into Catalina.out. catalina.out and
> localhost_access.log continue to work like before.
> May I know how and from where to start debugging this?
> I have verified logging.properties, there is no issue with it.

My guess is that "java.util.logging.manager" and
"java.util.logging.config.file" system properties are not set,
and thus java uses default implementation of java.util.logging instead
of the one provided by Tomcat's
org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager.

Those properties are usually set by catalina.sh (and there is a
comment at that top of that file).

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Logging framework !

Posted by "André Warnier (tomcat)" <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
On 01.11.2017 06:17, Utkarsh Dave wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am using Tomcat 7.0.81 on centos 7.2 and using openjdk 1.7.0.141.
> The problem I am seeing recently is manager*.log and localhost*.log files
> are not created. Instead, I see the messages that were to be written into,
> manager.log are going into Catalina.out. catalina.out and
> localhost_access.log continue to work like before.
> May I know how and from where to start debugging this?
> I have verified logging.properties, there is no issue with it.
>
> Any help will be appreciable.

The first question here is : where does that tomcat 7.0.81 come from ?
If it is the "vanilla" tomcat from the tomcat website, then chances are that we can help
you. If it is from a centos packaged version of tomcat, then there are less chances that
we can help you, because we do not know exactly how the packagers of centos have set this up.

You probably need to start in that case by looking at the startup script(s) of tomcat, in
/etc/init.d or similar, to find out what happens in terms of redirection of logfiles etc.

The people who create the tomcat packaged versions for the different Linux/Unix/Windows
etc. distributions, each have their own logic about this kind of thing. Their intent is
usually to try to "force" the tomcat logging to happen according to the general
conventions on their particular platform, which can be quite different from the standard
logging conventions of the various pieces of software that should run on each platform.