Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Michal Borowiecki <mi...@openbet.com> on 2017/06/03 08:23:08 UTC

Sink Processor definition

Hi all,

Streams docs say:

>   * *Sink Processor*: A sink processor is a special type of stream
>     processor that does not have down-stream processors. It sends any
>     received records from its up-stream processors to a specified
>     Kafka topic.

Would a processor that doesn't produce to a kafka topic (directly) but
only updates a state store also be considered a sink processor? I think yes.

I'll submit a PR to that effect unless I hear otherwise.

Cheers,

Michał

--
Signature
<http://www.openbet.com/> 	Michal Borowiecki

	+44 203 249 8448

	E: 	michal.borowiecki@openbet.com
	W: 	www.openbet.com <http://www.openbet.com/>

	OpenBet Ltd

	Chiswick Park Building 9

	566 Chiswick High Rd

	London

	W4 5XT

	UK

<https://www.openbet.com/email_promo>

This message is confidential and intended only for the addressee. If you
have received this message in error, please immediately notify the
postmaster@openbet.com <ma...@openbet.com> and delete it
from your system as well as any copies. The content of e-mails as well
as traffic data may be monitored by OpenBet for employment and security
purposes. To protect the environment please do not print this e-mail
unless necessary. OpenBet Ltd. Registered Office: Chiswick Park Building
9, 566 Chiswick High Road, London, W4 5XT, United Kingdom. A company
registered in England and Wales. Registered no. 3134634. VAT no.
GB927523612

Re: Sink Processor definition

Posted by "Matthias J. Sax" <ma...@confluent.io>.
I think "sink" it the correct term here. It means that we write to a topic.

Processors, that don't have downstream nodes are called "terminal
operation" (at least in the DSL). Thus, a sink is also a "terminal
operation" but not the other way round.

So the docs are not optimal, as they put the "terminal" part into the
focus while the "writing to a topic" part is the main thing here.

-Matthias

Posted by Michal Borowiecki <mi...@openbet.com>.

Posted by Damian Guy <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michal,

In this case Sink Processor is really referring to a SinkNode that can only
produce to a kafka topic. Maybe the terminology is incorrect as strictly
speaking a processor that writes data to anything could be considered a
Sink Processor.