Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by "Pilgrim, Peter" <pe...@csfb.com> on 2005/01/27 10:59:55 UTC

Removal of Author Tags [was RE: Documentation updates part 2]

==////==

> First off, I see that the documentation equivalent of author tags are
> still being used.  I remember there was the big thing about
> removing the
> author tags from all java code.  There was even an article on the
> theinquirer.net about it:  http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14917
> Anyway, let me know if those doc authors should be removed and I'll
> submit a patch.
>
> Incidentally, when I submitted a patch to the maven hosted changelog
> plugin last week, I noticed author tags. I also see author
> tags in this
> project again.  Is it backsliding, or did the policy change?  I could
> also do a patch removing author tags as well.
>
> Removing all of these would seem consistent with removing the previous
> contributors page.

Why do you want to remove author tags from the source code base?
Have you totally absolved yourselves from developer attributions?

==////==

--
Peter Pilgrim
Operations/IT - Credit Suisse First Boston,

Re: Removal of Author Tags [was RE: Documentation updates part 2]

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
Hi Paul

I was already working on this when Ted mentioned to me that you were doing
it.  After reading this, I will let you handle it.  I really appreciate your
help.  It's volunteering like this that gets people nominated ;)

Is there a bugzilla ticket opened for this yet?  If so, I will attach a
patch for what I've done.  If you have time, you can take a look at it and
let me know if this helps, or is a starting point.  I'm sure I've missed
something.

--
James Mitchell
EdgeTech, Inc.

Posted by Paul Sundling <tk...@tkz.net>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 06:32:36 -0500, Ted Husted wrote:
> I'll look around for a summary or post one myself.

Here's a post of mine from last March.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:59:55 +0000, Pilgrim, Peter wrote:
> Why do you want to remove author tags from the source code base?
> Have you totally absolved yourselves from developer attributions?

We removed the author tags from the source code base a little over a year ago. We just never bothered to do the same with the documentation. As a top-level project, Apache Struts has never used author tags in the source code.

There are several legal and social reasons why author tags should not be used. The pros and cons have been discussed at length within the Foundation. I'll look around for a summary or post one myself. The board discourages (but does not prohibit) author tags. Some projects still use them, but most ASF projects either never used author tags or have now removed them.  Documentation should not be treated differently than code.

-Ted.