Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org> on 2002/11/16 08:44:56 UTC

Adding components to forrest?

Hi,

Just say I wanted to write custom generators to forrest - can I do it (without
modifiying the forrest install)?

Essentially what I want to do is be able to point at a java source file that
gets processed by qdox.sourceforge.net and outputs some custom xml. The code
is already written but only works from command line. What I would like to do
is get it working inside forrest so that everytime I rebuild the descriptions
of components are regenerated and crosslinked.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
--------------------------------
My opinions may have changed,
but not the fact that I am right
--------------------------------

Re: Adding components to forrest?

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 23:35, Ross Gardler wrote:
> One of the changes in the new beta is the integration of cent outputs
> into the xdocs for forrest. For an example of the kind of output you can
> get from the next beta, take a look at:
>
> http://csms.sourceforge.net/checkstyle/index.html - checkstyle output
> skinned by Forrest
>
> http://csms.sourceforge.net/jdepend/index.html - jdepend output skinned
> by Forrest
>
> http://www.saafe.org/metrics/javancss/index.html - JNCSS output skinned
> by forrest

Sounds neat. For the current situation it makes more sense to have cocoon pull
the data through. Though when the underlying data is the result of processing
multiple files I will keep it in mind.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
The big mistake that men make is that when they turn thirteen or fourteen and
all of a sudden they've reached puberty, they believe that they like women.
Actually, you're just horny. It doesn't mean you like women any more at
twenty-one than you did at ten.                --Jules Feiffer (cartoonist)

Re: Adding components to forrest?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@wkwyw.net>.
Peter Donald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just say I wanted to write custom generators to forrest - can I do it (without
> modifiying the forrest install)?
>
> Essentially what I want to do is be able to point at a java source file that
> gets processed by qdox.sourceforge.net and outputs some custom xml. The code
> is already written but only works from command line. What I would like to do
> is get it working inside forrest so that everytime I rebuild the descriptions
> of components are regenerated and crosslinked.

(copying mail to krysalis-dev)

I'm not a forrest guru, just lurking here at present so my response is
not about Forrest directly, I'm sure someone else will pick that angle
up for you.

This may be something that would be better handled using Centipede
(http://www.krysalis.org/centipede), a build system, utilising ANT at
its core and forrest for docs generation.

Centipede is currently building up to a new beta release which has some
considerable advances over the current beta (such as an update to the
current version of Forrest). Nevertheless, the current beta is already
in use by a number of projects such as http://jakarta.apache.org/poi).

One of the changes in the new beta is the integration of cent outputs
into the xdocs for forrest. For an example of the kind of output you can
get from the next beta, take a look at:

http://csms.sourceforge.net/checkstyle/index.html - checkstyle output
skinned by Forrest

http://csms.sourceforge.net/jdepend/index.html - jdepend output skinned
by Forrest

http://www.saafe.org/metrics/javancss/index.html - JNCSS output skinned
by forrest

In order to do what you need you would need to create a "cent" for
centipede, the output can be skinned as in the above examples. You can
utilise your existing scripts, propable without modification. Your
custom XML would then be processed by an XSL sheet to create the
necessary xdocs and forrest does the rest.

If you want to explore this option, join or dev list at
http://lists.sourceforge.net/mailman/listinfo/krysalis-developers where
all the help you need will be provided.

Ross

Re: Adding components to forrest?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Jeff Turner wrote:
> Peter Donald wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just say I wanted to write custom generators to forrest - can I do it
> > (without modifiying the forrest install)?
>
> Yes, just add the extra jar in ${project.lib-dir}, by default
> src/documentation/lib, and add the generator to the project sitemap in
> src/documentation/sitemap.xmap.  I can send an example offlist if you
> like.

Wow, that is simple. This sounds like a Forrest How-to doc is
brewing. If i wanted to add Lucene to conduct searching then
i presume that i would do the same thing.

I gather that an entry would need to be added to the cocoon.xconf
in Forrest as well.

Would you please send your example to the list so we can all see.

> > Essentially what I want to do is be able to point at a java source file
> > that gets processed by qdox.sourceforge.net and outputs some custom
> > xml. The code is already written but only works from command line. What
> > I would like to do is get it working inside forrest so that everytime I
> > rebuild the descriptions of components are regenerated and crosslinked.
>
> Sounds useful..

Yes, it also sounds like something that could be a core Forrest
capability.

--David

Re: Adding components to forrest?

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 06:44:56PM +1100, Peter Donald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just say I wanted to write custom generators to forrest - can I do it (without
> modifiying the forrest install)?

Yes, just add the extra jar in ${project.lib-dir}, by default
src/documentation/lib, and add the generator to the project sitemap in
src/documentation/sitemap.xmap.  I can send an example offlist if you
like.

> Essentially what I want to do is be able to point at a java source file
> that gets processed by qdox.sourceforge.net and outputs some custom
> xml. The code is already written but only works from command line. What
> I would like to do is get it working inside forrest so that everytime I
> rebuild the descriptions of components are regenerated and crosslinked.

Sounds useful..

--Jeff