Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Kristian Rink <ka...@zimmer428.net> on 2008/09/04 12:56:13 UTC

library management in EAR packaged modules?

Folks;

eventually figuring out that my webapps better be deployed to the
application server as an ear rather than separate war archives (partly
because we're about to dump EJB modules in there rather soon as well, and
partly because most of the .wars share the same libraries and so deploying
an EAR makes the whole package a little lighter), so far I am goin' for the
following approach:

- The .war modules get added to the ear as dependencies, pretty straightforward.

- All the libraries required by _any_ .war module get added as "compile"
dependencies to the "ear" and as "provided" dependencies to the .war module
depending upon them.

This works, but it feels a little clumsy as adding a library dependency
always means touching two different module declarations (the relevant .war
and the ear archive containing it). My question is how to do this right?
Ideally, I'd simply add the libraries to the .war files as "compile"
dependencies and, while creating the "ear", maven2 would be capable of (a)
not adding the libs to the .war but to the .ear file instead and (b) adding
them only once to there not a couple of times to different .war modules.

Is something more or less similar to that possible? How to do this in the
"best" way? How do you handle things like this?
Thanks in advance and best regards,
Kristian

--
Kristian Rink