Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Sc...@lotus.com on 2000/03/04 07:15:05 UTC

DOM-like classes (was Re: Xalan 2.0: the plan)

> (personally, I have some
> DOM-like classes I would love to contribute, if it fits)

Hey Pier, you could easily contribute these classes today for Xalan 1.0.1.

What I need for the SAX input driver mode is a cross between the DTM and a
DOM, incremental, with read-only interface, supporting just a subset of the
DOM interfaces (for instance, I don't need getChildren), and holding a
document-order index.  These could be integrated in in less than a day (if
they can be easily built with SAX2), if they are reasonably robust, with a
massive performance improvement for the SAX input configuration (and Cocoon
2).  If you don't string-ize character data and let me set and get at the
sax character array, it will be even faster.

If Pier isn't willing, if anyone else wants to take this on, let me know.
I think this is probably only a day or two of work.

-scott

Re: DOM-like classes (was Re: Xalan 2.0: the plan)

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.
Scott_Boag@lotus.com wrote:

> > (personally, I have some
> > DOM-like classes I would love to contribute, if it fits)
>
> Hey Pier, you could easily contribute these classes today for Xalan 1.0.1.

It depends if I (we, there are a bunch of people working on that) can
MAKE it for the 1.0.1.

> What I need for the SAX input driver mode is a cross between the DTM and a
> DOM, incremental, with read-only interface, supporting just a subset of the
> DOM interfaces (for instance, I don't need getChildren), and holding a
> document-order index.  These could be integrated in in less than a day (if
> they can be easily built with SAX2), if they are reasonably robust, with a
> massive performance improvement for the SAX input configuration (and Cocoon
> 2).  If you don't string-ize character data and let me set and get at the
> sax character array, it will be even faster.

Good points.... We're not string-ing characters right now, we're
preserving everything as comes from the SAX2 interfaces... We'd have to
post those classes one of these days...

> If Pier isn't willing, if anyone else wants to take this on, let me know.
> I think this is probably only a day or two of work.

I don't have two days right now :( But I believe it's necessary to come
up with a simpler, lighter and easier document object model (built
incrementally, and so on, like the DTM is) :)

	Pier

<ma...@betaversion.org>    <http://www.betaversion.org/~pier/>