Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Varuna Seneviratna <vs...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/20 05:43:14 UTC

[users@httpd] What is the Difference between A webserver(apache) and an application server?

What is the Difference between A webserver(apache) and an application
server?

Varuna

Re: [users@httpd] What is the Difference between A webserver(apache) and an application server?

Posted by Carol Walter <wa...@indiana.edu>.
May I also interject, although most applications these days are web
applications, an application server may serve up applications that
are not web applications.  An applications server may provide a
platform for the middle ware, for example, a financial management
package.

Carol

Posted by so...@apache.org.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 09:13:14 +0530
"Varuna Seneviratna" <vs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What is the Difference between A webserver(apache) and an application
> server?

It's whatever you want it to be.

Just like apache itself, which is commonly deployed in both roles,
as well as serving as a frontend (proxy, cache, aggregator) for
other servers.

"Our wonderful product is a great application server, theirs is
merely a webserver".

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/

Re: [users@httpd] What is the Difference between A webserver(apache) and an application server?

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
It looks like it.
Varuna is also a strange answer.  A bit like "42".

But what strikes me most, is the warning formula below.
With such a formula, everyone is probably too scared to even think about
answering.

Posted by Boyle Owen <Ow...@swx.com>.