Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Joerg Holz <ho...@hamburg.de> on 2016/01/08 01:45:06 UTC

Late Response: Does Cordova make Developer happy

Hi,

in the last two month I supported Cordova on stackoverflow a lot and I want to give you a quick overview:

Questions per month about 1000, unanswared about 75%.

Ionic: 550/65%

Telerik: 115/64%

NativeScript: 18/64%

jQuery: 10000/44%

My peronal result of response is, that I got an accept of my answers on about every 7. answer. A lot of my answers and the most of my comments got no response.

There are two main types of Cordova users, which are asking:

– The absolut beginner

– The Middle-Type: one, who is in the middle of a project, but less experience on how to handle projects and writing code.

The Beginner-Type (From my feeling about 80% from all):

My favorite is: «I want to make a service like Facebook. What do I need?».

They do not have experience/knowledge in handling a project, how to write clean code … They think it is just screwing some HTML, CSS and JS together. They put  everything of scripts, libraries  together, which they get.

The basics are missing.

The Middle–Type:

The standard problem is, missing or wrong Content-Security-Policy. And the other problem is, they do not read the docs or they can’t find the info.

From my feeling: About 50% have problems with event-driven-software.

The less rate of answered questions comes from askers which have a max. reputation of 50 on stackoverflow. A lot of them are starting to write software and have chosen Cordova, because it seams to be easy.

The answering of «real» questions is from my feeling in a rate of 50%..

Quit a lot of trouble  is coming from the Cordova-daugthers, like PhoneGap, Ionic, … «I want to integrate plugin xyz. It doesn’t work».

What should be done in my opinion?

1. We should more populate, maybe create a slogan: Write clean HTML, CSS, JS, then your Cordova App will work.

2. We should write in the top of «Get Started Fast», that there are some skills to build Hybrid-Apps.

3. We should have a small section, where we write what the best way is to make Cordova apps unusable.

4. We should make more clear what the difference between Cordova, Ionic, PhoneGap, … is.

Greets from the Canary Islands,

Joerg

Jörg Holz | +49-175-640 35 80
holz@hamburg.de

https://www.workflow-management.net

Re: Late Response: Does Cordova make Developer happy

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the data Joerg!

Could you please file issues for items 2 and 3 at issues.cordova.io?
I think issue 1 can be wrapped into 3.

Issue 4 I'm not so sure since we don't want to play a game of "keeping
up with the difference in distributions" but a general "Cordova is to
[PhoneGap/Ionic/etc] like how WebKit is to Safari or how Chromium is
to Chrome"

If you would like to take a stab at implementing these, please look at
https://github.com/apache/cordova-docs and send a pull request as
well.