Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2002/12/01 12:21:31 UTC

Re: Auto-assembly

Darrell DeBoer wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 04:45, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>>Nobody is proposing to stop Phoenix development, Peter. Stop crying.
>

> Ummm, Stefano, you might want to read the entire content of the emails you
> send. This one seems self-contradictory. Or just a troll.
>
> (from further up you email)

> Sounds like someone proposing to stop Phoenix development to me.

Nicola proposed to put on hold 'further development' of Phoenix. Which
(at least to me) means: let's top having containers as playgrounds for
framework-related stuff that should be discussed and voted by the avalon
development community.

My response was that nobody here is proposing to 'shut down phoenix' and
stop its development and leave all the phoenix users with nothing to
work on and without bugs to be fixed.

So, one thing is 'development', another thing is 'further development'.
But you're right, it wasn't clear, so thanks for asking me to clarify.

What I want to see ending is the use of containers to implement stuff
that influence Avalon as a framework and create 'dialects' of framework
usage.

This is what Nicola is proposing to stop.

This is what I agree on.

If the community agrees on this proposal, Phoenix (and all the other
containers controlled by the Avalon development community) will
implement what the Avalon community decides and all the
framework-related decisions will have to go thru community consensus.

This will, hopefully, reduce current Avalon 'balkanization'.

If the community agrees on this proposal and single developers want to
go ahead without community consensus they can:

  1) follow the rules of revolutionaries

  2) go somewhere else

There is no other alternative around here.

All avalon developers must understand that.

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

Re: Auto-assembly

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Darrell DeBoer wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Dec 2002 21:21, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>>Darrell DeBoer wrote:

>>>Ummm, Stefano, you might want to read the entire content of the emails
>>>you send. This one seems self-contradictory. Or just a troll.
>>>
>>>(from further up you email)

>>>Sounds like someone proposing to stop Phoenix development to me.
>>
>>Nicola proposed to put on hold 'further development' of Phoenix. Which
>>(at least to me) means: let's top having containers as playgrounds for
>>framework-related stuff that should be discussed and voted by the avalon
>>development community.
>>
>>My response was that nobody here is proposing to 'shut down phoenix' and
>>stop its development and leave all the phoenix users with nothing to
>>work on and without bugs to be fixed.
>>
>>So, one thing is 'development', another thing is 'further development'.
>>But you're right, it wasn't clear, so thanks for asking me to clarify.
>>
>>What I want to see ending is the use of containers to implement stuff
>>that influence Avalon as a framework and create 'dialects' of framework
>>usage.
>>
>>This is what Nicola is proposing to stop.
>>
>>This is what I agree on.
>>
>>If the community agrees on this proposal, Phoenix (and all the other
>>containers controlled by the Avalon development community) will
>>implement what the Avalon community decides and all the
>>framework-related decisions will have to go thru community consensus.
>>
>>This will, hopefully, reduce current Avalon 'balkanization'.
>>
>>If the community agrees on this proposal and single developers want to
>>go ahead without community consensus they can:
>>
>>  1) follow the rules of revolutionaries
>>
>>  2) go somewhere else
>>
>>There is no other alternative around here.
>>
>>All avalon developers must understand that.
>

> Thanks for the clarification. I must say that as a James developer and a
> Phoenix user, I'm really against any proposal that would slow down the
> provision of new and *necessary* features in Phoenix.

The proposal is not meant to 'slow down' anything, Darrell. It's meant
to put an end on fragmentation of avalon implementations.

> We waited a *long* time for a stable, released version of Phoenix. And it's
> great, but we want more. We want to be allow developers to simply "drop-in" a
> mailet jar file with some config and for it to just work.

Dude, I hear you. Cocoon needs *exactly* the same hotdeployment
capabilities.

What we want it to have *all* the avalon developers working on solving
the same issues *together*. That might be harder and slow at first, but
this is a long-term goal: provide a united and strong avalon development
community that will concentrate on functional requirements of all the
avalon users, but without fragmenting the avalon brand into myriads of
different containers.

> I personally want
> it to be easier to compose components of finer grained sub-components. These
> sorts of features probably require new features (like auto-assembly) for
> Phoenix.

Exactly. But if you talk about this on phoenix-dev or james-dev, the
other people that use Cocoon and have similar issues, will not be able
to suggest things. Or you to them.

See my point? we are not trying to blast Phoenix or to kick people out,
rather the opposite: we want to work together for a better Avalon!

> We're about to commence on a bunch of new developments in James, and I for one
> want to continue on top of the stable base we've got today. But I don't want
> to be told we need to switch to a new, alpha container, and wait for the
> talk-fest to be over.

Hey man, look: how can avalon force its users to do something, even if
it wanted to? we want to 'unify' this community, we don't want to
fragment it any more than it already is.

Cocoon and James are the most important Avalon users. They have very
different requirements, yet very common ones.

Is it possible to provide a migration path that allows Cocoon and James
to be based on different profiles of the same container and yet being
back compatible?

I think it's possible.

For sure, I'll be the first one against Avalon imposing
back-incompatible changes without a nice migration path to its users.

> Please don't force us to fork Phoenix internally (or somewhere else) to get
> the features we need. (No, this isn't a threat, or even likely. But I'd vote
> +1 if I *really* had to.) I'd hate to see us lose the support of Peter D,
> Paul H, Eung Ju, Leo S and the other Phoenix devs, who have provided so much
> support over time.

Same here dude. Cocoon will write its own avalon implementation and
maintain it internally, but this is the *very last* resort.

> This is Open-Source, right? We do this for fun, a challenge, and to make the
> world a better place. Let's not make it harder than it has to be.

Oh, please, I'm not trying to make things harder for the fun of it. Why
should I? I care about Avalon as a user as much as you do.

And this is why I'm concerned about avalon community fragmentation.

James and Cocoon are based software maintained by a fragmented
community. the history of open source dynamics show that this is a very
dangerous thing. signs of internal friction and cracks have already
appeared. I want avalon to be surrounded by a united community that
cares about the framework.

Today it's hard to tell if people care about the framework more than
they care about its implementations and this is bad.

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

Clarifications about Phoenix (Re: Auto-assembly)

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Darrell DeBoer wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Dec 2002 21:21, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>>Darrell DeBoer wrote:

>>>Ummm, Stefano, you might want to read the entire content of the emails
>>>you send. This one seems self-contradictory. Or just a troll.
>>>
>>>(from further up you email)

>>>Sounds like someone proposing to stop Phoenix development to me.
>>
>>Nicola proposed to put on hold 'further development' of Phoenix. Which
>>(at least to me) means: let's top having containers as playgrounds for
>>framework-related stuff that should be discussed and voted by the avalon
>>development community.
>>
>>My response was that nobody here is proposing to 'shut down phoenix' and
>>stop its development and leave all the phoenix users with nothing to
>>work on and without bugs to be fixed.
>>
>>So, one thing is 'development', another thing is 'further development'.
>>But you're right, it wasn't clear, so thanks for asking me to clarify.
>>
>>What I want to see ending is the use of containers to implement stuff
>>that influence Avalon as a framework and create 'dialects' of framework
>>usage.
>>
>>This is what Nicola is proposing to stop.
>>
>>This is what I agree on.
>>
>>If the community agrees on this proposal, Phoenix (and all the other
>>containers controlled by the Avalon development community) will
>>implement what the Avalon community decides and all the
>>framework-related decisions will have to go thru community consensus.
>>
>>This will, hopefully, reduce current Avalon 'balkanization'.
>>
>>If the community agrees on this proposal and single developers want to
>>go ahead without community consensus they can:
>>
>>  1) follow the rules of revolutionaries
>>
>>  2) go somewhere else
>>
>>There is no other alternative around here.
>>
>>All avalon developers must understand that.

+1

> Thanks for the clarification. I must say that as a James developer and a
> Phoenix user, I'm really against any proposal that would slow down the
> provision of new and *necessary* features in Phoenix.

I agree with you.

> We waited a *long* time for a stable, released version of Phoenix. And it's
> great, but we want more. We want to be allow developers to simply "drop-in" a
> mailet jar file with some config and for it to just work. I personally want
> it to be easier to compose components of finer grained sub-components. These
> sorts of features probably require new features (like auto-assembly) for
> Phoenix.

I use James for my company, and I'm the administrator and the one
"politically" responsible for it. Don't worry, the last thing I want to
see is James in difficulty over Phoenix.

> We're about to commence on a bunch of new developments in James, and I for one
> want to continue on top of the stable base we've got today. But I don't want
> to be told we need to switch to a new, alpha container, and wait for the
> talk-fest to be over.

Let me explain this one more time, to be as clear as possible: nobody is
going to be forced in *any* way, to switch to an alpha container.

The new container we are talking about is going to be developed in
parallel with the *necessary* development of current released code, of
which Phoenix is very important. And nobody has said that big parts of
Phoenix code won't be used in that container.

When we will have a new *stable* container, that has already passed
alpha and beta cycles, and that has a very clear and well defined
migration path avaliable for Phoenix, *then* we will simply /encourage/
users to switch to the new container.

This means that for months Phoenix will be maintained and actively
developed where the features represent needed evolutions for Phoenix users.

The development of Phoenix in these months will hopefully bring it
nearer in features and semantics to the new container, so that when the
concete possibility of a switch will come it will be as painless as
possible.
That's why I questioned this feature: if it's in the path that we all
agree on and that will be somewhat in the new container, it's important
that it's done, else it would only do harm. Since it seems that it's
welcome, I'm happy it will be brought forward.

I have already explained it before, I do it now, and I will do it every
time it's needed. Apache has a reputation for stability, and we will
continue on this path.

> Please don't force us to fork Phoenix internally (or somewhere else) to get
> the features we need. (No, this isn't a threat, or even likely. But I'd vote
> +1 if I *really* had to.) I'd hate to see us lose the support of Peter D,
> Paul H, Eung Ju, Leo S and the other Phoenix devs, who have provided so much
> support over time.

Avalon-Phoenix developers, please.

We don't want to make you loose their support: we want you to have the
full support of all the Avalon community.

> This is Open-Source, right? We do this for fun, a challenge, and to make the
> world a better place. Let's not make it harder than it has to be.

Sure. That's why we are on the new container, to do it all together.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Auto-assembly

Posted by Darrell DeBoer <da...@apache.org>.
> [...]

sorts of features probably require new features (like auto-assembly) for
Phoenix.

We're about to commence on a bunch of new developments in James, and I for one
want to continue on top of the stable base we've got today. But I don't want
to be told we need to switch to a new, alpha container, and wait for the
talk-fest to be over.

Please don't force us to fork Phoenix internally (or somewhere else) to get
the features we need. (No, this isn't a threat, or even likely. But I'd vote
+1 if I *really* had to.) I'd hate to see us lose the support of Peter D,
Paul H, Eung Ju, Leo S and the other Phoenix devs, who have provided so much
support over time.

This is Open-Source, right? We do this for fun, a challenge, and to make the
world a better place. Let's not make it harder than it has to be.

cheers,
Darrell DeBoer