Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by swatkatz <mo...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/20 15:03:45 UTC

Solr index on multiple drives.

Hi,

Can I have one instance of Solr write the index and date to multiple drives
? e.g.

Can I configure Solr to do something like -

<dataDir>c:\data</dataDir>
<dataDir>d:\data</dataDir>
<dataDir>e:\data</dataDir>

Or is the suggested way to use multiple Solr cores and have the application
shard the index across the cores ? Or is distributed search (by having
multiple Solr instances) the way to go ?

Re: Solr index on multiple drives.

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

No, dataDir is a single directory, so limited to single partition on a single drive.  But, you can always have disks in RAID, and then it could be spread over multiple drives.

Yes, if you have multiple Solr cores and multiple drives, you could put them on different drivers for performance reasons.  Distributed search makes sense if you can no longer fit a single index on a server. How to make search fast?  Make sure you have enough RAM.  And if you do not, put your index on an SSD.

 Otis
--
Sematext is hiring -- http://sematext.com/about/jobs.html?mls
Lucene, Solr, Nutch, Katta, Hadoop, HBase, UIMA, NLP, NER, IR