Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Mike <mz...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/04 08:07:22 UTC

Re: Password reset for admin?

Sorry for the late response (vacation).  I understand what you saying
that it is not a good idea to use generic or group accounts as much as
possible.. However, it should not be so easy for users of an ERP to
shoot themselves in the foot. This sounds like a gaping security hole,
or at least a major security annoyance.

For instance.  You have a group of folks who answer phones and provide
customer support.  They read and reply to emails to multiple
customers.  When they email customers, they use their own accounts,
like sally@domain.com.  Let's disrupt sally (or admin!) by simply
going to the ecommerce page, enter sally and click forget password.
Does anyone think this is OK?  I don't think it should be necessary to
change the admin login, or even use unfriendly user names.

Re: Password reset for admin?

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
Ok like the see the jira you create.

Mike sent the following on 8/4/2011 4:25 PM:

Re: Password reset for admin?

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
I guess if you tie you Gmail or Facebook into the login proecess of
ofbiz I can see a relevance.
How many such request do you get from your
CustomerService@yourdomain.com. Yourdomain being the one you have.

Raj Saini sent the following on 8/4/2011 6:24 PM:

Re: Password reset for admin?

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: Password reset for admin?

Posted by Mike <mz...@gmail.com>.

Re: Password reset for admin?

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Re: Password reset for admin?

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Re: Password reset for admin?

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
It sounds like you speaking of Ofbiz as a finished product, in which
case I agree with you first paragraph. However Ofbiz is not a finished
product and is meant for Consultants to setup for end users. The
consultant should know this information and make the application they
setup for their client fully secure.

Confusing about sally@domain.com. If she is sending emails with this
email address, through ofbiz then it is gotten from the Primary email
address of the contactmech not the login. and ofbiz recieved those
emails and puts them in her party communications.
the login should not be sally@domain.com since the email would be sent
to her account in ofbiz and she could not access it. it should be
sally@otherdomain.com like yahoo or qmail.com. This would reduce someone
from knowing her login.

There are some condition that allow not sensing or resetting the
password. They are in the Security.properties. look at the code in
LoginEvents.emailPassword()

Mike sent the following on 8/3/2011 11:07 PM: