Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Alex <ml...@aca-o.com> on 2019/08/16 07:16:31 UTC

Re: Assassinate fails

Hello Alain,

long time  - I had to wait for a quiet week to try this. I finally did,
I thought I'd give you some feedback.

Short reminder: one of the nodes of my 3.9 cluster died and I replaced
it. But it still appeared in nodetool status, on one node with a "null"
host_id and on another with the same host_id of its replacement.
nodetool assassinate failed and I could not decommission or remove any
other node on the cluster.

Basically, after backup and preparing another cluster in case anything
went wrong, I did :

DELETE FROM system.peers WHERE peer = '192.168.1.18';

and restarted cassandra on the two nodes still seeing the zombie node.

After the first restart, the cassandra system.log was filled with:

java.lang.NullPointerException: null
WARN  [MutationStage-2] 2019-08-15 15:31:44,735
AbstractLocalAwareExecutorService.java:169 - Uncaught exception on
thread Thread[MutationStage-2,5,main]:

So... I restarted again. The error disappeared. I ran a full repair and
everything seems to be back in order. I could decommission a node
without problem.

Thanks for your help !

Alex

Links:
------
[1] http://cassandra.apache.org

Re: Assassinate fails

Posted by Alain RODRIGUEZ <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hello Alex,

long time  - I had to wait for a quiet week to try this. I finally did, I
> thought I'd give you some feedback.

Thanks for taking the time to share this, I guess it might be useful to
some other people around to know the end of the story ;-).

Glad this worked for you,

C*heers,