Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Rajiv Nanduani <ra...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/13 16:53:40 UTC

how many threads we can run with webdriver sampler

hi, i would like to know through jmeter using webdriver sampler how many
threads we can run as it says it depends on CPU core.

thanks

Re: how many threads we can run with webdriver sampler

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi
The short answer is you need to figure out the number that works for you on
your test infrastructure for your test application and that you need to
validate your observations.

The longer answer is - first you need to differentiate between How many
could I theoretically launch v/s How many could I launch and still generate
the load with high degree of fidelity. For e.g. if JMeter says it is
running 100 threads concurrently , are you really seeing ~100 requests at
the same time on your server ?. Assuming you mean the latter then many more
factors come into play . To use an analogy - the question you are asking is
akin to "how many browser tabs can you open on your laptop ? " - Does it
matter if you are browsing a site or whether you are streaming a movie or
god forbid accessing a site with flash ?

So you need to look at CPU , memory , network and your test and your
application (for e.g. if your test has largish think times and your
applications take a few seconds to respond , its quite possible to simulate
a higher number of users )
WebDriver does take up more resources than normal HTTP Samplers so the load
you can generate is lower. I havent used the later versions of Selenium but
the older ones did really drive a browser instance so the question did
genuinely become how many browsers could run with reasonable speed on the
test machine.

>C = B + 1 where C = Number of Cores of the host running the test and N =
Number of Browser (threads).
Assuming that you want 0 overhead and no switching etc. If your tests have
0 think times and your requests respond very quickly maybe you might start
with this formula- Usually you will use higher values than this.

Posted by Rajiv Nanduani <ra...@gmail.com>.
[...]

From experience, the number of browser (threads) that the reader creates