Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by jean-frederic clere <jf...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/29 16:41:13 UTC

udp port used by the tribes tests

Hi,

Does someone know which upd ports are used by the tribes tests?
I tried to allow 4000-4005 but that didn't help :-(

Cheers

Jean-Frederic

Re: udp port used by the tribes tests

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Jean-Frederic,

On 4/30/14, 9:21 AM, jean-frederic clere wrote:

>>>  From old e-mails in my mailbox I think so. (Some test error messages
>>> mention port numbers). I have not looked into the code.
>>>
>>> Maybe try running org.apache.catalina.tribes.TesterMulticast ?
>>> It is mentioned in BUILDING.txt
>>
>> Looking at souгce code and searching through log files of a full
>> Tomcat8 tests run with NIO connector, I can say the following.
>>

>> 4000-4005 are TCP ports
>>
>> The only test that has UDP enabled is
>> org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelStartStop
>> It uses "udpPort = 45543".
>
> I was testing tomcat7 I have open 4000-4005 TCP and 45543 UDP that
> didn't help, I will test Tomcat8 later.
>
> Of course removing the firewall helps ;-)

How about setting iptables to "-j LOG" for all, and then checking for a
flurry of data when you run the test(s)?

-chris

Re: udp port used by the tribes tests

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does someone know which upd ports are used by the tribes tests?
>> I tried to allow 4000-4005 but that didn't help :-(
>>

> From old e-mails in my mailbox I think so. (Some test error messages
> mention port numbers). I have not looked into the code.
>
> Maybe try running org.apache.catalina.tribes.TesterMulticast ?
> It is mentioned in BUILDING.txt

Looking at souгce code and searching through log files of a full
Tomcat8 tests run with NIO connector, I can say the following.

4000-4005 are TCP ports

The only test that has UDP enabled is
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelStartStop
It uses "udpPort = 45543".

There are two other tests,
org.apache.catalina.tribes.test.channel.TestMulticastPackages
org.apache.catalina.tribes.test.channel.TestUdpPackages
that use "setUdpPort(50000)";
but those two tests are excluded by default in build.xml, with
            <!-- Exclude the tests known to fail -->
            <exclude name="org/apache/catalina/tribes/test/**" />

The rest of tests are not using UDP.
(There are some that log UDP Port=-1, which is the default value for
MemberImpl.udpPort, AbstractSender.udpPort, ReceiverBase.udpPort and
means that UDP is disabled)

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: udp port used by the tribes tests