Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by "LOCHART,DOUGLAS E" <do...@cablespeed.com> on 2005/08/30 21:44:38 UTC

need help with External URL problem

Email:

External URL Help

I am tasked to allow the following in our secure tapestry
app:

1) Generate a URL That a person could mail to a
perspective client.
2) That client client would click on the URL to sign up.
3) The URL would activate a Page within our system that
would then look at a parameter in the URL to determine
which person's URL was used to activate this page.

    I have been reading chapter 10 in TIA for how to use
the External Link's and pages. It seems fairly
straightforward.  Where I am getting stumped is that I
need to give someone a    URL like
"www.signmeup.com/app?Salesman=John Doe" or something of
that ilk.  This URL that I give needs to activate an
External Page.  I guess what I need is to send an already
rendered  external link.

    How do I do that?  I would also need to create the
URL's on the fly so that I could generate one for a new
salesman and they could email it to themselves/write it
down or whatever.

    I am still quite green.  I have a full Tapestry app
but I have not used alot of bells and whistles yet.  What
I am saying is don't assume I know a whole lot of teh
Tapestry internals.

    Thanks Again in Advance.

    Doug

Re: need help with External URL problem

Posted by DarĂ­o Vasconcelos <da...@gmail.com>.
>From what I've seen here in the list, you simply construct a URL that
would have all the parameters you need
(app?salesman=JohnDoe&client=new&whatever=xxx) and just get them from
activateExternalPage... your page, of course, must implement
IExternalPage and can otherwise do other things, as a regular Tapestry
page.

Thus, you don't need "pre-rendered" page links, you just construct
them from the data you need to identify your customer.

Dario

On 8/30/05, LOCHART,DOUGLAS E <do...@cablespeed.com> wrote:
> Email:
>
> External URL Help
>
> I am tasked to allow the following in our secure tapestry
> app:
>
> 1) Generate a URL That a person could mail to a
> perspective client.
> 2) That client client would click on the URL to sign up.
> 3) The URL would activate a Page within our system that
> would then look at a parameter in the URL to determine
> which person's URL was used to activate this page.
>
>     I have been reading chapter 10 in TIA for how to use
> the External Link's and pages. It seems fairly
> straightforward.  Where I am getting stumped is that I
> need to give someone a    URL like
> "www.signmeup.com/app?Salesman=John Doe" or something of
> that ilk.  This URL that I give needs to activate an
> External Page.  I guess what I need is to send an already
> rendered  external link.
>
>     How do I do that?  I would also need to create the
> URL's on the fly so that I could generate one for a new
> salesman and they could email it to themselves/write it
> down or whatever.
>
>     I am still quite green.  I have a full Tapestry app
> but I have not used alot of bells and whistles yet.  What
> I am saying is don't assume I know a whole lot of teh
> Tapestry internals.
>
>     Thanks Again in Advance.
>
>     Doug

I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something.
    Jackie Mason