Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/02 19:36:05 UTC

Let's rewind!!! (Re: [VOTE] accept donation of a business process engine into the ServiceMix project)

Folks,

There is no proposal, there is just a zip, unless someone is a
clairvoyant, we can't figure out things like. *PLEASE* CC
general@incubator.

- Which specific version of the spec is implemented?
- Where are the list of known issues?
- Where is the TODO list?
- Why is Axis version 1.2 RC1 (and not even Axis 1.2 final even if we
forget that the current version is Axis 1.3)
- Is there any relation to workflow?
- Is there no opportunity for interaction with our Existing incubation
project Agila?
- Are there people from sybase who will be working?
- Geronimo is becoming an umbrella rapidly and now ServiceMix wants to
be one too?
- Why are people talking as though the code is FINAL
  (Quoting greg - "there is no need to develope a community around this code")
  (Quoting Rob - "If you've looked at the proposed donated code, this
BPEL engine is complete, I can't see any sense in combining it with
something else ?" )
- Do *ANY* of the existing servicemix committers know this code inside out?
- If people are not going to touch this contrib code with a barge pole
then why should it be accepted?

thanks,
dims

Re: Why rewind? (Re: Let's rewind!!! (Re: [VOTE] accept donation of a business process engine into the ServiceMix project)

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
James,

With my Geronimo PMC member hat on. i've already cast my VOTE
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=geronimo-dev&m=113889773909505&w=2).

Now that i have your attention :) and i have a bit more information
that i did not have before, but i still think a standalone BPEL
vibrant project is a necessary addition to our aresenal and things
should not get buried under layers of projects and become a check mark
on a marketing wish list for someone.

So reiterating, I would like the donors to work with incubator
directly, write a complete proposal with pros and cons, show up with
people who will continue working on the project including the existing
servicemix community and others who may wish to join and follow the
incubator process for setting up a new project given the stand alone
nature of the code and its supposed completeness.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
James,

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
James,

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 2 Feb 2006, at 20:51, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> James Strachan wrote:
>
>> Given it fits nicely with the existing ServiceMix incubation
>> proposal I see no need for a new proposal for a donation of
>> code to an existing incubating project.
>
> We don't start to incubate a chicken, and then import a barnyard
> under the
> same proposal, just because it fits well with a chicken.
>
> What I am hearing is that NOT that people don't want the new
> material, but
> that while it may fit with ServiceMix, it can also fit well with other
> projects, and they want to allow that separation.
>
> You may feel otherwise, although that is not clear to me from:

I certainly do feel otherwise as do the folks donating the code and
the other members of the ServiceMix project.

>> Not really, its an orchestration engine for an ESB so as I've already
>> said its very well suited to the ServiceMix project and first well
>> within its scope.
>
> We have at least two (2) ESB projects here.  Is this proposal really
> ServiceMix specific?

An orchestration engine and JBI go together like a J2EE application
server and a JTA provider (transaction manager). JBI (JSR 208) is the
JCP standard container model for deploying integration services; so
orchestration engines should expose themselves as a JBI component, be
deployed within a JBI container and work with other JBI components
(binding components or service engines to use JBI speak).  ServiceMix
is the only JBI project at Apache where it currently hosts a full JBI
container and test suite together with a large collection of existing
JBI components for various things (smart routing, audit,
transformation, rules, scripting etc). So the aim is for the
orchestration engine to become a JBI component deployable inside
ServiceMix's JBI container that can then orchestrate other JBI
components (such as the Axis or Tuscay JBI components - I'm sure in
time we'll have a Synapse JBI component too).
http://incubator.apache.org/servicemix/Components

Note that I purposely avoided the ESB buzzword in that paragraph
above as its a vague semi-meaningless term these days, like SOA and
"component" :)

James
-------

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
James Strachan wrote:

> Given it fits nicely with the existing ServiceMix incubation
> proposal I see no need for a new proposal for a donation of
> code to an existing incubating project.

We don't start to incubate a chicken, and then import a barnyard under the
same proposal, just because it fits well with a chicken.

What I am hearing is that NOT that people don't want the new material, but
that while it may fit with ServiceMix, it can also fit well with other
projects, and they want to allow that separation.

You may feel otherwise, although that is not clear to me from:

> Not really, its an orchestration engine for an ESB so as I've already
> said its very well suited to the ServiceMix project and first well
> within its scope.

We have at least two (2) ESB projects here.  Is this proposal really
ServiceMix specific?

> > - Is there no opportunity for interaction with our Existing
> > incubation project Agila?

> We'll see - lets first vote to accept the patch then let the
> community decide those things down the road.

Actually, we do try to raise these issues when planning Incubation.

	--- Noel

Why rewind? (Re: Let's rewind!!! (Re: [VOTE] accept donation of a business process engine into the ServiceMix project)

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 2 Feb 2006, at 18:36, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> Folks,
>
> There is no proposal, there is just a zip, unless someone is a
> clairvoyant, we can't figure out things like.

We were first voting to see if the servicemix community and geronimo
PMC were willing to accept the donation. Given it fits nicely with
the existing ServiceMix incubation proposal I see no need for a new
proposal for a donation of code to an existing incubating project.

> *PLEASE* CC
> general@incubator.

Will do.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 2 Feb 2006, at 18:36, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> Folks,
>
> There is no proposal, there is just a zip, unless someone is a
> clairvoyant, we can't figure out things like.

We were first voting to see if the servicemix community and geronimo
PMC were willing to accept the donation. Given it fits nicely with
the existing ServiceMix incubation proposal I see no need for a new
proposal for a donation of code to an existing incubating project.

> *PLEASE* CC
> general@incubator.

Will do.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 2 Feb 2006, at 18:36, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> Folks,
>
> There is no proposal, there is just a zip, unless someone is a
> clairvoyant, we can't figure out things like.

We were first voting to see if the servicemix community and geronimo
PMC were willing to accept the donation. Given it fits nicely with
the existing ServiceMix incubation proposal I see no need for a new
proposal for a donation of code to an existing incubating project.

> *PLEASE* CC
> general@incubator.

Will do.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
If I understand correctly, this will be a code donation like
http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/geronimo-762-ibm-console.html.

Regards,
Alan

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.