Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/16 09:50:39 UTC

[VOTE] Park Kato

Kato implements a specification. Work on this specification is
currently suspended and its future is unknown. IMHO Kato was healthy
and progressing towards eventual graduation before this external
problem stopped work.

Creating, reading and review reports for podlings in this unusual
situation is a burden for the IPMC and the board.

As Mentor, I propose that the IPMC acts to resolve this situation by
winding down Kato in a way that allows an easy restart (by a simple
vote) whilst preserving the legal work done in open sourcing this code
base. For short, 'parking' rather than 'termination'.

Robert

--8<-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ ] +1 Park Kato
[ ] +0
[ ] -0
[ ] -1 Do not park Kato

Parking
======
Aim to retain legal work and code base, allowing an easy restart if
these problems are resolved.

Suggested Action Items For Mentors

Re: [VOTE] Park Kato

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Sam Ruby wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> >
> > The IPMC strongly and clearly expressed the opinion that the Kato
> > Mentors needs to be more active or face termination. This is the
> > solution I favour personally.
>
> Incorrect.  Some members of the IPMC (including myself) have strongly
> and clearly expressed the opinion that the Kato reports do not reflect
> the full status.
>
> I'll state for emphasis: absolutely nobody here has suggested that any
> podling be immediately terminated as it has passed some date criteria.
>  Nobody has named any mentor and suggested that they be terminated.
> In fact, I would like to call on everybody to stop using the
> drama-filled term "termination" and focus on ensuring that reports
> submitted are timely and contain all of the relevant information.

Yes please. We have had this discussion only recently.

These states:
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/index.html#current
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/index.html#graduated
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/index.html#dormant
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/index.html#retired

-David

Re: [VOTE] Park Kato

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 6:15 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The IPMC strongly and clearly expressed the opinion that the Kato
> Mentors needs to be more active or face termination. This is the
> solution I favour personally.

Incorrect.  Some members of the IPMC (including myself) have strongly
and clearly expressed the opinion that the Kato reports do not reflect
the full status.

I'll state for emphasis: absolutely nobody here has suggested that any
podling be immediately terminated as it has passed some date criteria.
 Nobody has named any mentor and suggested that they be terminated.
In fact, I would like to call on everybody to stop using the
drama-filled term "termination" and focus on ensuring that reports
submitted are timely and contain all of the relevant information.

- Sam Ruby

Re: [VOTE] Park Kato

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Ross Gardler
<rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:
> -1
>
> The IPMC is currently discussing how to handle these situations.

The IPMC has descended quickly in a long series of threads heavy on
personal abuse and light on constructive proposals. You call this
'discussion'. I call it a waste of time.

<snip>

> Secondly, and more importantly I'd rather hear from the project
> community than a mentor who says (and I paraphrase) "as a mentor I
> think everything is OK but lets kill it anyway, I want to make a point
> to the IPMC". I appreciate my paraphrase my be doing a disservice to
> you Robert, but that is what it reads like to someone with only the
> information you provide here.

IMO demanding a more active response from Mentors then asking for a
recount from the community smells of hypocritical

The IPMC strongly and clearly expressed the opinion that the Kato
Mentors needs to be more active or face termination. This is the
solution I favour personally.

Either back the original judgment of Kato's Mentors and trust the
community to come up with solutions, remove those holding this
minority view from the IPMC, or sign up as a new Mentor for Kato

Robert

Re: [VOTE] Park Kato

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
-1

The IPMC is currently discussing how to handle these situations.We
have not come to an agreement yet and so this seems premature at best.
Furthermore, there is currently no definition of "parking". I have no
interest in voting on something that is not well defined.

Secondly, and more importantly I'd rather hear from the project
community than a mentor who says (and I paraphrase) "as a mentor I
think everything is OK but lets kill it anyway, I want to make a point
to the IPMC". I appreciate my paraphrase my be doing a disservice to
you Robert, but that is what it reads like to someone with only the
information you provide here.

I, as an IPMC member do not know what "this external problem stopped
work" means. It has not, to my knowledge, been adequately covered in
board reports and I see no clear expression of the problem here on the
IPMC.

Robert, I respect your recommendation as a mentor but if you want me,
as an IPMC member, to back it then you need to provide enough
information for me to make an informed decision OR you need the Kato
community to indicate that this is their desire.

Ross

On 16 January 2012 08:50, Robert Burrell Donkin
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Kato implements a specification. Work on this specification is
> currently suspended and its future is unknown. IMHO Kato was healthy
> and progressing towards eventual graduation before this external
> problem stopped work.
>
> Creating, reading and review reports for podlings in this unusual
> situation is a burden for the IPMC and the board.
>
> As Mentor, I propose that the IPMC acts to resolve this situation by
> winding down Kato in a way that allows an easy restart (by a simple
> vote) whilst preserving the legal work done in open sourcing this code
> base. For short, 'parking' rather than 'termination'.
>
> Robert
>
> --8<-------------------------------------------------------------------------
> [ ] +1 Park Kato
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -0
> [ ] -1 Do not park Kato
>
> Parking
> ======
> Aim to retain legal work and code base, allowing an easy restart if
> these problems are resolved.
>
> Suggested Action Items For Mentors

Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)