Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Philippe Andersson <pa...@iba-group.com> on 2008/07/10 10:06:06 UTC

Blame information lost in merge

Hello again, list,

Here is the scenario:
- 'file' is modified by John in
branch B
- blame in branch B correctly identifies his contributions
- branch B
is merged in trunk by Sally
- blame in trunk sees all of 'file' as being
contributed by Sally

Is this the expected behaviour ? If so, is it possible
to ask "merge" to
keep the original contribution info ?

TIA

Cheers. Bye.
Ph. A.

--

*Philippe Andersson*
Unix System Administrator

The contents of this e-mail message and any
attachments are intended solely for the recipient (s) named above. This
communication is intended to be and to remain confidential and may be
protected by intellectual property rights. Any use of the information
contained herein (including but not limited to, total or partial reproduction,
communication or distribution of any form) by persons other than the
designated recipient(s) is prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately by
e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from
your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-
free. Ion Beam Applications does not accept liability for any such errors.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Re: Blame information lost in merge

Posted by Philippe Andersson <pa...@iba-group.com>.
Gleason, Todd wrote:
> Is this in 1.50?
It is.

Ph. A.

> I know that
Subversion 1.50 keeps the mergeinfo, but
> I'm wondering how possible it is to
display blame info nicely if your
> merge contains subsequent edits to resolve
conflicts or whatnot.

Andersson [mailto:pan@iba-group.com]
>> Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 3:06 AM
>> To: users@subversion.tigris.org
>> Subject: Blame information lost in merge
>>
>> Hello again, list,
>>
>> Here is the scenario:
>> - 'file' is modified
by John in branch B
>> - blame in branch B correctly identifies his
contributions
>> - branch B is merged in trunk by Sally
>> - blame in trunk
sees all of 'file' as being contributed by Sally

>> Is this the expected
behaviour ? If so, is it possible to ask "merge"
>> keep the original
contribution info ?

>> TIA
>>
>> Cheers. Bye.
>>
>> Ph. A.
>>
>> --

*Philippe Andersson*
>> Unix System Administrator
>> IBA Particle Therapy |

Tel: +32-10-475.983

Posted by "Gleason, Todd" <tg...@impac.com>.
Is this in 1.50?  I know that Subversion 1.50 keeps the mergeinfo, but

Posted by Philippe Andersson <pa...@iba-group.com>.
Hello Mark,

Andersson <pa...@iba-group.com> wrote:
>> Hello again, list,
>>
>> Here is the
scenario:
>> - 'file' is modified by John in branch B
>> - blame in branch B
correctly identifies his contributions
>> - branch B is merged in trunk by
Sally
>> - blame in trunk sees all of 'file' as being contributed by Sally
>>
>> Is this the expected behaviour ? If so, is it possible to ask "merge" to

keep the original contribution info ?

> This is a feature you get with
Subversion 1.5 and merge tracking.  To
> see the information you want you need
to run svn blame -g.

> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.branchmer
ge.advanced.html#svn.branchmerge.advanced.logblame

Thanks a lot for the
info. I read the description in the book and it
looks like doing exactly what
I need... except I can't get it to work!

Example:
--------
- Branch "PRS-4"
contains edits by user "philipa". I can see them by
calling blame on the
branch:

---------------------<cut>-----------------------
taranis:~/wc/bidon/trunk$ svn blame -r 40
http://taranis/repos/sysadmin/bidon/branches/PRS-4/machin
     30        pan #
Dummy file for non-trivial merge tests
     30        pan #
     30        pan
# Modification history:
     30        pan # * pan, 07/07/2008: initial
release.
     40    philipa # * pan, 07/07/2008: redesign TRUC to bring costs
down [PRS-4].
     30        pan
     36        pan BEURK="Blahhhh"
     40
philipa TRUC="beeehhh"
     30        pan BROL="machin"
     35        pan
BIDULE="foobar"
---------------------<cut>-----------------------

This looks
OK to me.

- Branch PRS-4 has then been merged in trunk by user "pan".
Now, if
I do the same (with option -g) on the revision in trunk that is
the merge
result from PRS-4, I get:

---------------------<cut>-----------------------
taranis:~/wc/bidon/trunk$ svn blame -g -r 42
http://taranis/repos/sysadmin/bidon/trunk/machin
       30        pan # Dummy
file for non-trivial merge tests
       30        pan #
       30        pan #
Modification history:
       30        pan # * pan, 07/07/2008: initial
release.
       41        pan # * pan, 07/07/2008: bugfix [PRS-3].
       42
pan # * pan, 07/07/2008: redesign TRUC to bring costs
down [PRS-4].
       30
pan
       36        pan BEURK="Blahhhh"
       42        pan TRUC="beeehhh"
30        pan BROL="machin"
       35        pan BIDULE="foobar"
---------------------<cut>-----------------------

As you can see, all the
lines "belong" to "pan". Merge has been done
with "svn merge --reintegrate".
Merge conflicts have been resolved with
kdiff3.

TIA

Cheers. Bye.

Ph. A.

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 6:06 AM, Philippe Andersson <pa...@iba-group.com> wrote:
> Hello again, list,
>
> Here is the scenario:
> - 'file' is modified by John in branch B
> - blame in branch B correctly identifies his contributions
> - branch B is merged in trunk by Sally
> - blame in trunk sees all of 'file' as being contributed by Sally
>
> Is this the expected behaviour ? If so, is it possible to ask "merge" to
> keep the original contribution info ?

This is a feature you get with Subversion 1.5 and merge tracking.  To
see the information you want you need to run svn blame -g.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.branchmerge.advanced.html#svn.branchmerge.advanced.logblame

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard