Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Ulul <ha...@ulul.org> on 2015/03/08 22:04:43 UTC

SolR integration in HDP

Hi

I will likely get at least one "you should post in solr mailing list" or
"this belongs to Hortonworks forums" answer but I really would like
hadoopers point of view on SolR integration in HDP

SolR is presented by Hortonwoks as an integrated search feature in HDP
but you can hardly say that SolR is a first class citizen in HDP 2.2 :
- No ambari integration (and nothing appears on Ambari roadmap 2.0 or 2.1)
- not even an HDP rpm in repos
- YARN integration is  yarn-proto Lucidworks github project that
requested integration through SOLR-6743
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-6743> Jira without much
response so far
- only provided doc is a sandbox tutorial
- SolR MapReduce integration is provided through a proprietary
lucidworks jar

Cloudera entreprise, through SolR service, *hue search app, Lily for
HBase integration, seems to provide a better integration.

Am I missing something ? Is SolR integration considered as an entreprise
feature that will require proprietary software on the foreseeable future ?

My current feeling is that, since SolR integration seems rather virtual
or reserved to paying-for-support users, I could as well stick to
Elasticsearch - that I know -  since they release MR integration and
Yarn support as OSS and that I can integrate with HBase through Phoenix
and JDBC.

Any thoughts and feedback welcome
Thank you
Ulul