Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/05/03 14:10:19 UTC

"Google Docs Boasts 450 New Fonts and 60 New Templates"

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57426699-93/google-docs-boasts-450-new-fonts-and-60-new-templates/

Is there any easy way to tell how many templates we have in our
template repository?  It might make sense to mention the templates and
extensions repositories in our AOO 3.4 announcement, since that is a
statement on the scope of the larger ecosystem.  Someone who
contributes a template or writes an extension is a contributor to the
overall OpenOffice effort.

-Rob

Re: "Google Docs Boasts 450 New Fonts and 60 New Templates"

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Thu, 2012-05-03 at 08:10 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57426699-93/google-docs-boasts-450-new-fonts-and-60-new-templates/
>
> Is there any easy way to tell how many templates we have in our
> template repository?

1,105

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.
On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 8:26 PM, drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-05-04 at 14:12 -0400, Donald Harbison wrote:
>> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:48 AM, Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>wrote:
>>
>> > On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>> > >
>> > http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57426699-93/google-docs-boasts-450-new-fonts-and-60-new-templates/

>> > Numbers, here we go:
>> >
>> > - 864 Extensions, total 2856 releases
>> > - 2340 Templates in 18 languages:
>> >
>> > 25      da
>> > 313     de
>> > 57      el
>> > 1115    en
>> > 87      es
>> > 142     fr
>> > 2       he
>> > 14      hu
>> > 100     it
>> > 133     ja
>> > 46      nl
>> > 82      pl
>> > 54      pt-br
>> > 129     ru
>> > 9       sl
>> > 19      sv
>> > 3       zh-hans
>> > 10      zh-hant
>> >
>> > Let me add that next week we plan to go out with a blog entry about
>> > Extensions and Templates, containing some stats and an interview to
>> > one of the authors. If you wish we can coordinate the timing. My idea
>> > was to publish this a couple of days after the AOO 3.4 PR. For that
>> > day we are working on a short video showing some of the top features
>> > of the new release.
>> >

>> I like your idea... but lets agree to allow the announcement post to stay
>> 'on the top' for a couple of days at least; i.e. through Friday of next
>> week, May 11.  So you may want to target posting the week of May 14. Bear
>> in mind that Juergen is planning to post one wearing his Release Manager
>> hat, and going into more details on the release itself than we have done
>> with the original announcement content.

Of course we won't post before the announcement, that is why I shared
a draft timeline here. So said, I believe we better go out with some
material before others do, since by sharing the news in a positive way
we have a chance to influence others to report it in a nice way.
Consider also that our upcoming blog posts have been written by Rich
Bowen, who is an official press outlet for the ASF at feathercast.org
and is planning on running these videos there too.

> Another +1 on the ideas, the video particularly, here - and with the
> idea of staggering the publishing of these blogs and videos.
>
> @Roberto - the idea of a short video interview with extension
> developers, is this something you are considering on any kind of
> recurring basis? I quite like the idea, and maybe even mix in one of the
> core devs, should, or when, the opportunity presents itself. Anyway,
> it's easy for me to 'say'.. I know they take work.

We plan to do at least two videos, and the interviews to Extensions'
and Templates' creators are part of the 'old' plan to help the
project.
About mixing, we have already interviewed Jurgen and we plan to do
more, so who ever is open and willing is more than welcome.

>> > Maybe I better move this discussion on ooo-marketing?
>> >

>> Well, sure, but to be honest, there's not alot of eyeballs on
>>  ooo-marketing...yet.
>
> I'd agree with that also.

Yea, I'll keep this stuff here, until we believe there is enough
momentum to move it to ooo-marketing.

Roberto

--
====

Re: "Google Docs Boasts 450 New Fonts and 60 New Templates"

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Fri, 2012-05-04 at 14:12 -0400, Donald Harbison wrote:
> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:48 AM, Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>wrote:
>
> > On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> > >
> > http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57426699-93/google-docs-boasts-450-new-fonts-and-60-new-templates/
> > >
> > > Is there any easy way to tell how many templates we have in our
> > > template repository?  It might make sense to mention the templates and
> > > extensions repositories in our AOO 3.4 announcement, since that is a
> > > statement on the scope of the larger ecosystem.  Someone who
> > > contributes a template or writes an extension is a contributor to the
> > > overall OpenOffice effort.
> >
> > Numbers, here we go:
> >
> > - 864 Extensions, total 2856 releases
> > - 2340 Templates in 18 languages:
> >
> > 25      da
> > 313     de
> > 57      el
> > 1115    en
> > 87      es
> > 142     fr
> > 2       he
> > 14      hu
> > 100     it
> > 133     ja
> > 46      nl
> > 82      pl
> > 54      pt-br
> > 129     ru
> > 9       sl
> > 19      sv
> > 3       zh-hans
> > 10      zh-hant
> >
> > Let me add that next week we plan to go out with a blog entry about
> > Extensions and Templates, containing some stats and an interview to
> > one of the authors. If you wish we can coordinate the timing. My idea
> > was to publish this a couple of days after the AOO 3.4 PR. For that
> > day we are working on a short video showing some of the top features
> > of the new release.
> >

> I like your idea... but lets agree to allow the announcement post to stay
> 'on the top' for a couple of days at least; i.e. through Friday of next
> week, May 11.  So you may want to target posting the week of May 14. Bear
> in mind that Juergen is planning to post one wearing his Release Manager
> hat, and going into more details on the release itself than we have done
> with the original announcement content.

Another +1 on the ideas, the video particularly, here - and with the
idea of staggering the publishing of these blogs and videos.

@Roberto - the idea of a short video interview with extension
developers, is this something you are considering on any kind of
recurring basis? I quite like the idea, and maybe even mix in one of the
core devs, should, or when, the opportunity presents itself. Anyway,
it's easy for me to 'say'.. I know they take work.

> > Maybe I better move this discussion on ooo-marketing?
> >

> Well, sure, but to be honest, there's not alot of eyeballs on
>  ooo-marketing...yet.

I'd agree with that also.

//drew

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.