Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Jud <ne...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/01 20:46:44 UTC

Re: Problem setting up GroupLens

Lance Norskog <goksron <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Try more memory. I had problems with the 1M Grouplens set and Slope1.
>
> You might also try the first N lines of the rating.dat file. "head
> -50000 < rating.dat > mini.dat" will give you a smaller dataset.
>
> It would be great to have a tool that isolates a heavily connected
> subgraph of users & ids.

Hey Lance and thank you very much for this information.

After days and nights of doing anything anyone could think of....inc.:
Swapfiles...
Swapfile manager
Reinstall
Java Heap size...
Installing Eclipse for manging Java Heap size
Trying Mahout-0.4, mahout-0.2 etc...
Reading endless articles about this problem....

LANCE IS RIGHT!!!!

Owen - pay attention....! :-)

Lance thanx again...

Jud.

Re: Problem setting up GroupLens

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
It's the combination of the 1M dataset and the Slope1 using the
MemoryDiffStorage structure- MemoryDiffStorage seems to be in general
a space-eater. Look at the javadoc for it: 'maxEntries' lets you trade
space for item-item accuracy.

Lance

--
Lance Norskog