Posted to diversity@apache.org by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@google.com.INVALID> on 2019/04/09 22:58:48 UTC

Revamping the ASF Committer Diversity Survey

Hi folks - I'd like to kick start the revamp of the ASF Committer Diversity
Survey. As agreed in the thread "On Meritocracy" sent to the ComDev lists
[1], we want to revamp the survey in order to inform our Diversity and
Inclusion strategy.

@Sharan - I believe you were the lead on this effort back in 2016, so you
input here would be valuable to help us scope the effort. Here are some
questions to help us do that:
- What's been done to revamp the survey so far? What's the current status?
- What tasks are needed so we revamp the survey?
- What technology was used to apply the survey?
- How does someone gets access to the survey's backend?

Once we have direction in these areas, I can help organize the timeline and
next steps.

In the meantime, I'd love to hear ideas on topics/questions/areas that
weren't included in the 2016 edition [2], with the caveat that we won't be
able to add them all since it would result in either a very different
survey which will be hard to use to measure change or a long survey which
people won't take.

Thanks everyone, looking forward to completing this.

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/5b88a314fd28ec3753fd9aa57fdf815fe9f7a64c5f60fb00e2d25bcf@%3Cdev.community.apache.org%3E
[2]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/ASF+Committer+Diversity+Survey+-+2016

Re: Fwd: Revamping the ASF Committer Diversity Survey

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
On 03/05/2019 09.25, Myrle Krantz wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I asked my marketing professor for feedback on our current survey.  You can
> see it in the forwarded email below (shared with his permission).
>
> The context of my question was very gender-oriented and so he answered
> accordingly.
>
> He also has ideas about improving the formulation of our questions which I
> plan to pursue with him but won't be able to get into before June.
>
> What do you all think of splitting the survey up and taking one diversity
> topic at a time?  It might also allow us to handle diversity topics more
> delicately that aren't solely US-oriented...  (contributors living in
> Western Europe with Arabic or Turkish origins for example).

I think this makes a lot of sense! :). If we are enough people, we might
even split into some working groups and work on different aspects, then
coordinate surveys etc so it doesn't overlap.

One good research is often better than ten waffly ones without depth,
and as Hernan points out, different topics will also both attract
different responders and slightly shape the results (whether intentional
or not). If we cast the net too wide, we may end up with nothing.

Perhaps we should start by discussing which aspects we'd like to
research, then percolate that into groups of topics and look at them
individually.

*From: *Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>
*Date: *Friday, 3. May 2019 at 10:21
*To: *"Bruno, Hernan" <X>

Re: Revamping the ASF Committer Diversity Survey

Posted by Gris Cuevas <gr...@apache.org>.
Sharan - thank you so much for sharing this.

I went ahead and started the following Design Doc[1] for the survey. The objective is to give structure and cadence to the survey publishing. I see this as a release and we can approach it as such.

Right now, I need help getting into the survey backend to grab all questions and put them in the "Current Edition Questions" section. We can then start editing based in the feedback Sharan shared, and I can outline activities needed before launching.

Who could volunteer to help me get access to the backend and put questions in the design doc?
Who could help us upload the new questions to the backend?

[1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1r9oqJ7Ccm9d6nxWTh6Q6h2PUIemMgR7erIEilxHMkeE/edit?ts=5cc8899a#

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org>.
Hi Gris

Posted by Sharan F <sh...@apache.org>.
Hi All

Ack. Will aim to respond to the points requested over the weekend unless
someone else beats me to it.

Thanks
Sharan

Posted by Gris Cuevas <gr...@apache.org>.
Hi folks - it's been almost 3 weeks since I kicked off this thread, so I think we should keep moving this forward. If you're interested in collaborating in the launch, please follow this Jira component [1]. Here are the steps we need to work on:

1) Incorporate the feedback received in this thread into a new version of the survey. (I took this on)
2) Socialize the draft with folks from the CHAOSS team.  I want us to not reinvent the wheel, but instead leverage what the industry is measuring to have a benchmark and support from other groups. Happy to pass this on to a volunteer who wants to be the liaison with the CHAOSS team.
3) Socialize a finalized version to get input/thoughts in this mailing list. (Need volunteer)
4) We'll move to launch mode (need 1 volunteer, can be the same as above volunteers)

If you want to volunteer, please open a Jira issue under the demographic survey component and assign it to you and create a comment and mention me. Also let us know in this thread you're working on it.

Thanks!

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DI-4?jql=project%20%3D%20DI

P.S. If you have any burning thoughts, comments, contributions, etc. Please leave them as comments in this Jira issue [2]. I will stop monitoring this thread for additions.

[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DI-4

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@consensys.net>.
This may be an uncomfortable issue to bring up, but, in general, we are not
an "outreach" organization. That is, our charter is not to foster open source,
nor do direct outreach, etc... it is to create open source software for the
public good.

Now, OF COURSE, these sorts of efforts are part of growing and maintaining
and nurturing a community, which is the key way of ensuring that the open
source software is produced and maintained.

The only reason why I bring this up is that it is unfair and somewhat disingenuous
if we try to compare ourselves with such entities/efforts as GSOC, or OutReachy,
because those sorts of efforts are their *prime* reason for existence. We should
take clues from them, but they are not the exact models that we should follow.

Just making sure that we all are on the same page as this is concerned. Same
as with ApacheCon, for example. The ASF is not a conference producer; we do
so in order to help our projects and help us fulfill our mission. We need to treat
all such efforts similarly, IMHO.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 14/04/2019 06:02, Griselda Cuevas wrote:

<snip/>

> Here's one action item I'd like to put for someone to take:
> We need a new wiki page for Diversity & Inclusion, I'd like to add the v1.0
> of the committer diversity survey design doc to it, who could take on this?
> Jira - (DI-3):
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/DI/issues/DI-3?filter=allopenissues
> (This need a bit more work like figuring out where to create the page,
> create it and share it here)

The wiki should be in place now.

Login name is your Apache ID (e.g. for me it is "markt") and password is
your LDAP password (that you set up at id.apache.org when your Apache
account was created).

Let me know if you have any issues adding the survey design doc.

Mark

Re: Revamping the ASF Committer Diversity Survey

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

> On Apr 14, 2019, at 1:02 AM, Griselda Cuevas <gr...@google.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> Understanding diversity in potential committers is important, specially to
> know if efforts such as outreach, mentoring and "grooming" are the source
> of our low diversity.

Agreed.

Posted by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@google.com.INVALID>.
Hi All,

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

On 4/13/2019 11:02 AM, Joan Touzet wrote:
> On 2019-04-13 2:37 a.m., Dinesh Joshi wrote:
>> Rich, Myrle – both of you made great points. I especially think non-code
>> contributions are critical and generally go unrecognized. They are
>> equally as important.
>>
>> Regarding gathering data about individuals being nominated, perhaps
>> sending a survey to the PMC Chairs to gather the stats, would that be
>> reasonable? I am just trying brainstorm an effective way to gather data
>> around who is being left out and associated reasons.
>

> Hi Dinesh,
>
> I like the idea, but the devil is in the details.
>
> PMCs tend to be overloaded with responsibilities already. Unless we
> provide them something well-packaged and easy to run, we won't get any
> data this way.
>
> You'll also end up with serious selection bias; we'll hear back from the
> PMCs who are motivated to tell us about specific people, or who are
> idle, or who have smaller communities (because it's easy to get your
> hands around who all there is).
>
> I'm not saying this isn't doable, but I am having a hard time thinking
> of a way that we can get a good sample this way.
>
> -Joan

Is the intent to have the PMC supply the information, or to ask the
nominee to complete a survey?

If the former, there may not be much information. I know and care about
a nominee's contributions, but do not typically know their gender or
ethnicity. I may be able to guess whether they identify as male or
female from their name, but that is limited by my limited knowledge of
non-English naming practices, and many English names are ambiguous.

If the latter, we would get into a situation in which people would know
they were being discussed because of getting a survey invitation.

How about sending survey requests to randomly selected people who are
active on project mailing lists?

>> Dinesh

>>> Also, focusing on github contributions would leave out people who
>>> provide
>>> customer support.  And documentation and graphics might not compare
>>> appropriately in size with code contributions either.  But non-code
>>> contributors is one of our biggest problem-areas IMHO.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Myrle

---
https://www.avg.com

Re: Revamping the ASF Committer Diversity Survey

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dinesh Joshi <di...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 4/10/19 5:39 AM, Dinesh Joshi wrote:
> I have a dumb question, please bear with me. Will this survey reveal answers to the following questions –
>
> 1. How diverse are the contributors that are not committers yet?
> 2. How diverse are the contributors being nominated for committership?

I cannot think of any way that we could access that data. Nominations
happen on private lists, and are private. The contributors themselves do
not know that they are being considered. We could not survey them while
they were under consideration without telling them that they are under
consideration.

Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
http://rcbowen.com/
@rbowen

Re: Revamping the ASF Committer Diversity Survey

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.

> > I think there might be better ways to understand the funnel, using
> Kibble.
>
> What is Kibble? I am not familiar with it.

https://kibble.apache.org/   Go play with it.  It is the best way to
understand it.  There's a live demo under demo.kibble... that already has
data loaded for several projects.

Best,
Myrle

Re: Revamping the ASF Committer Diversity Survey

Posted by Dinesh Joshi <di...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
> On Apr 10, 2019, at 2:45 AM, Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> I'm not sure how to reach contributors who are not committers unless we're
> talking about mailing the dev lists of all the projects.  People have done
> this before, and the backlash it generates is larger each time.  Made worse
> by the fact that some of those surveys have been very poorly designed.  And
> even if we were to do something like this, we'd have the problem of
> self-selection to deal with.  Which we already have for committers, but my
> gut tells me it'd be worse for contributors.

One could look at the git commits and determine who is or isn't a committer, if the projects are good about separating author from committer in their git commits. Not sure if all projects follow it?

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 11:39 AM Dinesh Joshi
<di...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

> I have a dumb question, please bear with me. Will this survey reveal
> answers to the following questions –
>
> 1. How diverse are the contributors that are not committers yet?

Unless it is changed, no it will not.  Only committers were surveyed the
last time.

> 2. How diverse are the contributors being nominated for committership?

Maybe.

In its current form, Question #1 asks: "How long have you been involved
with any Apache project community?"  Other questions are designed to "suss
out" diversity.  Subdividing answers based on the first question could
provide this information if we get enough respondents to be statistically
significant.

Posted by Dinesh Joshi <di...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.