Posted to log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org by Moshe Matitya <Mo...@Kayote.com> on 2007/06/21 19:40:29 UTC

AsyncAppender not working

I have been unable to get the AsyncAppender to work.  For every appender
that is added to the AsyncAppender, the following error message appears:

    No appender named [<name>] could be found.

And not surprisingly, no logging happens.

I whittled this down to a simple example using an AsyncAppender with two
attached appenders.  Here is the config file:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

    <log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j='http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/'
            debug="true">

        <appender name="CONSOLE"
                class="org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender">
                <param name="ConversionPattern"
                        value="%d [%t] %-5p %c - %m%n" />
            </layout>
        </appender>

        <appender name="FILE"
                class="org.apache.log4j.FileAppender">
            <param name="File" value="Sample.log" />
            <param name="Append" value="false" />
                <param name="ConversionPattern"
                        value="%d [%t] %-5p %c - %m%n" />
            </layout>
        </appender>

        <appender name="ASYNC"
                class="org.apache.log4j.AsyncAppender">
            <param name="LocationInfo" value="true" />
            <appender-ref ref="CONSOLE" />
            <appender-ref ref="FILE" />
        </appender>

        <root>
            <level value="debug" />
            <appender-ref ref="ASYNC" />
        </root>

    </log4j:configuration>

And here is the log4cxx debug output:

    log4cxx: Threshold ="".
    log4cxx: Level value for root is [debug].
    log4cxx: OptionConverter::toLevel: no class name specified,
level=[debug]
    log4cxx: root level set to DEBUG
    log4cxx: Class name: [org.apache.log4j.AsyncAppender]
    log4cxx: Setting option name=[LocationInfo], value=[true]
    log4cxx: Attaching appender named [CONSOLE] to appender named
[ASYNC].
    log4cxx: No appender named [CONSOLE] could be found.
    log4cxx: Attaching appender named [FILE] to appender named [ASYNC].
    log4cxx: No appender named [FILE] could be found.
    log4cxx: Adding appender named [ASYNC] to logger [root].

When I change the root logger's appender from "ASYNC" to "CONSOLE" or
"FILE"
(i.e., bypassing the AsyncAppender), then everything works fine.

Am I doing something wrong here?

I am using log4cxx 0.10.0,
taken from <http://littletux.homelinux.org/log4cxx> on June 21.
I am running Windows XP SP2, with Visual C++ 6.0 SP6.

Thanks,

Moshe

Re: AsyncAppender not working

Posted by George Uecker <ge...@dot21rts.com>.
Moshe,

After looking a little deeper, I now recall that we did indeed have a similar problem when we first started using log4cxx.  To get our configuration to work, I had to modify DOMConfigurator according to this post:

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.logging.log4cxx.devel/851

You'll want to first verify whether these mods are already in the version you're using...

HTH,

George

Posted by George Uecker <ge...@dot21rts.com>.
Hi Moshe,

Posted by Moshe Matitya <Mo...@Kayote.com>.
Hi, George.

[...]

Thanks again,

Moshe

Posted by George Uecker <ge...@dot21rts.com>.
Moshe,

Here's a copy of my config file.  It configures two different AsyncAppenders, one for the ConsoleAppender and one for our custom DDSAppender.  (The one shown for the FileAppender is commented out in the root section.) Works fine.

HTH,

George

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE log4cxx:configuration >

<log4cxx:configuration xmlns:log4cxx="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4cxx/"
                configDebug="true">

        <appender name="ASYNC_CONSOLE" class="org.apache.log4cxx.AsyncAppender">
                <appender-ref ref="CONSOLE"/>
        </appender>

        <appender name="ASYNC_DDS" class="org.apache.log4cxx.AsyncAppender">
                <appender-ref ref="DDS"/>
        </appender>

        <!--appender name="ASYNC_FILE" class="org.apache.log4cxx.AsyncAppender">

Posted by Moshe Matitya <Mo...@Kayote.com>.