Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by Andy Gumbrecht <ag...@tomitribe.com> on 2014/07/11 12:21:58 UTC

International mentorship program for girls

Hi Everyone,

I'll not post her details here right now and will let her introduce
herself later if she wishes to do so, but Silvia has been in touch with
something that is really cool and I hope we as a community can help her out.
I have met Silvia. She's a cool and motivated developer that is really
active in promoting the female programming engineer movement across the
globe. I have pinched some details directly out of her correspondence to
share with you.

Silvia is looking to start an international female mentor-ship program
in her online community, with the following characteristics:

- The mentor and the mentored girl should not be from the same country.
- The girls that will be mentored will build projects stored on GitHub,
anyone in the world can join her and collaborate with her if they like
the project. She will be project leader.
- The program will last for 6 months, there will be evaluations and
milestones.
- The mentor has to have an online meeting with the mentored girl at
least once a week.
- What a mentor does is help the girl study by herself, he/she is not a
teacher, will not hold classes and will not code on the project.
- What the mentor will do is help the girl understand what is unclear
for her, give her resources, guide her, evaluate her etc.

Based on that she'd like to get an Apache TomEE based project up and
running and hopefully find a female (preferably, but not a must) mentor
from our community to help out.

Is this something that any of you, or someone you know, would be
interested in?

It would be awesome if we could get this up and and running. The ball is
in your court, I look forward to your responses.

Everyone have a great weekend.

Andy.

--
   Andy Gumbrecht