Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io> on 2014/01/04 22:42:00 UTC

Cleaning out @deprecated methods in MavenSession

I'm doing some cleanup in the core in preparation for some refactoring I'd like to propose in the coming months and the deprecated methods  in MavenSession have been there for over 4 years. I'd like to, at some point soon, be able to move the core and plugins to toward being fully JSR330 so I'd like to start purging references to Plexus. There are lots of them in MavenSession.

If no one has any objections I'd like to remove the deprecated constructors and methods from MavenSession.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Re: Cleaning out @deprecated methods in MavenSession

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.
On Jan 5, 2014, at 6:27 AM, Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess my question is, why have we still not cut 3.2... If the answer is
> just nobody has bothered, then I'd be happy to give a spin through it...

Release it why? Simply because of 1.6? I don't think that's a particularly good reason. We can't just have one release that works with 1.6 forcing people to 1.7 if something happens to need fixing. I don't think there's much harm in using 1.6 for at least a few releases. I prefer 1.7 idioms as well but releasing simply for 1.6 while there is lots left to be done in the backlog doesn't make much sense.

> If
> the answer is bugs needing a fixing then let's get those out of the way and
> spin that release already... Then we can have a clear run at 4.0 with
> deprection a go-go

I have moved all 3.1.x issues into 3.2 for the time being. Anyone who wants to do anything for 3.2 then assign them to yourself and we can work through them. Maybe we shoot for completion of whatever can be done in the next two weeks? Anything that's not assigned early next week, I'll move into the 3.x/Backlog.

Sound reasonable?

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
I guess my question is, why have we still not cut 3.2... If the answer is
just nobody has bothered, then I'd be happy to give a spin through it... If

--
Sent from my phone

Re: Cleaning out @deprecated methods in MavenSession

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

--
Sent from my phone

Re: Cleaning out @deprecated methods in MavenSession

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
I missed jvz's question: yes for removal of deprecations eagerly. If
anything, we should start doing that eagerly (4 years?), and declare this
step as transitioning one toward 4.0?

thanks,
~t~ (mobile)

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On Saturday, 4 January 2014, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2014, at 4:56 PM, Stephen Connolly <
> stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com <javascript:;>> wrote:
>
> > Doing so would make the next version 4.0 and not 3.2
> >
> > I don't mind if we want to do that, but we were supposed to be pushing a
> > 3.2 out at the start of Oct and I do wonder what the status is there
> >

> 3.1.1 was released on September 17th so we're a bit overdue for trying to
> keep the quarterly schedule, but I asked to update the source levels
> because it was after September. I didn't know that implied a release right
> then. But then an email discussion chain ensued and I lost track.
>
> If we're going to bump to 4.0 then I will sift through the core and look
> for more deprecated code. Might as well do a removal, and bump the runtime
> level to 1.6.

I guess my PoV is what new features are we adding that make it a 4.0?

I personally think we should cut 3.2 with the 1.6 bump and get that out

For The 4.0 version number I would like to see some new features...

Otoh we could hold off new features for 5.0 with the excuse that we were
aligning maven's version number with the modelVersion to remove
confusion.., but that is a card we can only play once

> > On Saturday, 4 January 2014, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> >
> >> I'm doing some cleanup in the core in preparation for some refactoring
> I'd
> >> like to propose in the coming months and the deprecated methods  in
> >> MavenSession have been there for over 4 years. I'd like to, at some
> point
> >> soon, be able to move the core and plugins to toward being fully JSR330
> so
> >> I'd like to start purging references to Plexus. There are lots of them
> in
> >> MavenSession.
> >>
> >> If no one has any objections I'd like to remove the deprecated
> >> constructors and methods from MavenSession.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Jason

> >> Jason van Zyl
> >> Founder,  Apache Maven
> >> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
> >> ---------------------------------------------------------
> >>

> > --
> > Sent from my phone
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason

> Jason van Zyl
> Founder,  Apache Maven
> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Sent from my phone

Re: Cleaning out @deprecated methods in MavenSession

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.
On Jan 5, 2014, at 2:53 PM, Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just see little point in pissing off users with extensive breakage if we
> have simple means of assessing the consequences before we do it.

I'm not disagreeing with you about running what we have and knowing what breaks.  It's easy enough to make a branch and run the builds to let people know.

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Doing so would make the next version 4.0 and not 3.2

I don't mind if we want to do that, but we were supposed to be pushing a
3.2 out at the start of Oct and I do wonder what the status is there

On Saturday, 4 January 2014, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> I'm doing some cleanup in the core in preparation for some refactoring I'd
> like to propose in the coming months and the deprecated methods  in
> MavenSession have been there for over 4 years. I'd like to, at some point
> soon, be able to move the core and plugins to toward being fully JSR330 so
> I'd like to start purging references to Plexus. There are lots of them in
> MavenSession.
>
> If no one has any objections I'd like to remove the deprecated
> constructors and methods from MavenSession.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason

> Jason van Zyl
> Founder,  Apache Maven