Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jeff Tulley <JT...@novell.com> on 2003/06/20 02:28:00 UTC

Re: Extended characters in passwords working with admin application?

Thanks I just found it in the archives.  I had been at JavaOne last week and so did a mass-delete of this list when I returned, and I also did not pick that up in the archives for some reason until you pointed it out.

So, there is still a problem with Tomcat when a login page specifies <%@ page  contentType="text/html; charset=UTF-8" %>  (which the login.jsp of the /admin application indeed does).  According to this FAQ, the inclusion of such a declaration is CORRECT.  So, is Tomcat just missing the conversion part?

If so, I hope that it can be changed.  It seems like such a change would be a huge potential backwards compatibility issue and is therefore risky.

I still challenge whether with the existing tomcat-provided login.jsp and authentication mechanism, whether you can log in with a user that has extended characters.  If anybody has successfully done that please let me know.  (I'm only successful if contentType=ISO-8859-1).

Also, that FAQ mentions passing in a "-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8", which Tomcat does not currently do.  This is another backwards compatibility issue for getting this to be the default Tomcat behavior.

Jeff Tulley  (jtulley@novell.com)
(801)861-5322
Novell, Inc., The Leading Provider of Net Business Solutions
http://www.novell.com

>>> tim@everserve.co.uk 6/19/03 4:41:46 PM >>>
There was an extremely detailed UTF-8/ISO-8859-1 'how to' on this list
recently (past week or so). I don't remember the details but it seemed
to do it for the others.

tim

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
This might help.