Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Daniel Naber <da...@t-online.de> on 2004/09/06 00:23:07 UTC

new DateTools class

Hi,

some random notes about the newly added DateTools class:

-it's named DateTools because it contains static methods only, so I think
that name is okay

-the public round() method can be used to limit date resolution without
using the new "readable" format (which is slightly longer than that of
DateField)

-more methods like "dateToIntegerString" might later be added for date
fields that can be sorted more efficiently -- but this will have limits on
the date range (Integer with second resolution can only be used to store
dates from 1970 to 2030 or something like that)

-the old DateField class is not deprecated because people have indexes with
those fields, and there's no reason to force them to use another format if
DateField works okay

Let me know if you think there might be problems with the new class.

One problem(?) currently is that DateFilter accepts the "old" DateField
format only.

Regards
 Daniel

--