Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by tser <te...@worldonline.nl> on 1999/04/17 17:10:59 UTC

Apache on Win98 / with MSVC++ 6? using nmake / Crash questions. /handler not found, not report 404 imediatly

I today compiled the apache on a win98 / Visual studio 6 machine.
I used nmake, not the GUi, to compile the source, and it went OK.
(expect tons of  Signification lost "here and there" warningmessages)
It runs's fine & fast and a standard - no modifications - runs reliable
also.

I placed my own module in the core, and tried to recompile it, and after
some error digging, Finaly, the module worked inside.
Apache -l bravely showed my module (yes, i was happy :o))

I trow up the handler, and made a typo which brings me to the first
question.

In my error log, i got the following output :

  [Sat Apr 17 14:24:20 1999] [warn] [client 127.0.0.1] handler
"chatshow" not found for: e:/w/apache/htdocs/chat
  [Sat Apr 17 14:24:20 1999] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not
exist: e:/w/apache/htdocs/chat

That looks like that, if the handler does not exist, apache tries to
find the real location of the URL. I created a directory  at
e:/w/apache/htdocs/chat and Indeed, Apache then shows that directory.
Without posting *any* message in the error.log, not even a warning.
about the handler.

isn't it safer to report directly a 404 Error, insteed of trying to
lookup the file location of your not-availeble  handler ? And Reporting
an Error, Rather then a warning ? e.g :[error] Handler not found

The Second Thing i walked up, was a Crash in apache, (in my own module,
don't worry :o)), It popud up with a well-known Windows-Crash Window,
Asking me for input (eg, do you want to debug, ok..etc).

It was pretty cool apache continued to life !, But i was wondering if
anybody knows how to  supress that window, and just write in the
errorlog, that a thread died.

You know, if oneday, a real bug is found, and spread among the net like
fire, i don't want to see my screen full of CrashWindows :o)

				Regards,
					Reinder Kraaij

Re: follow up handler problem

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
tser wrote:

> i l(ove)(ife) to be ignored :o)
>
> *sits relaxed in corner of the mailing list*
> *puts hands in the air*
> "may i have for 2 seconds your attention"?
> (hears mumble of shaking heads in the background)
> No ?-)
> *turns around*
> *talks to the wall* "hi wall!"
>
> "When some (dummy, mostly, somebody like reinder), user makes a handler
> misconfiguration inside his httpd.conf, should he
>
> a) Be blamed, by not getting any errors in his error log, just because a
> file, similair to the requested locationn exist, or
> b) Be warned about his foolishness, by both giving the surfing user a
> (any number) error, and a bravely report that he might have a typo
> c) Be Warned that the Handler Doesn't exist, and a file, similair to the
> similair to the requested location doesn't exist neither.
>
> *stares to the wall*  "a and c are the current situation,wall"
>
>                         *writes in the ground* "Hello, WorldWideWall "
>                                                                 - Reinder.

Hmm. Well, I'm not going to ingore you, but I can't say I understand you
either. I will note, though, that when I use mod_perl, and have _all_ my
Perl done as an Action, then I get a warning about the handler for Perl
not being found, with great regularity. One of these days I'll get
around to finding out why, and then I may understand what you are
saying.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html

     - Indira Gandhi

Re: follow up handler problem

Posted by tser <te...@worldonline.nl>.
i l(ove)(ife) to be ignored :o)

follow up handler problem (6 similair bug reports found)

Posted by tser <te...@worldonline.nl>.
[...]

Ps :there might be somethign wrong with this passage in the
http_config.c :

-----
 /* Pass one --- direct matches */

 for (handp = handlers; handp->hr.content_type; ++handp) {
     if (handler_len == handp->len
         && !strncmp(handler, handp->hr.content_type, handler_len)) {
         result = (*handp->hr.handler) (r);

         if (result != DECLINED)
             return result;
     }
 }

 if (result == HTTP_INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR && r->handler) {
     ap_log_rerror(APLOG_MARK, APLOG_NOERRNO|APLOG_WARNING, r,
         "handler \"%s\" not found for: %s", r->handler, r->filename);
 }

 /* Pass two --- wildcard matches */

 for (handp = wildhandlers; handp->hr.content_type; ++handp) {
     if (handler_len >= handp->len
         && !strncmp(handler, handp->hr.content_type, handp->len)) {
          result = (*handp->hr.handler) (r);

          if (result != DECLINED)
              return result;
      }