Posted to user@stdcxx.apache.org by Steve Petrie <ap...@attglobal.net> on 2008/11/12 03:44:51 UTC

File truncation Problem Downloading stdcxx-4.2.1.tar.gz

Greetings,

(I have searched the Apache archive without success, for tips on
downloading, so I'm posting here.)

I am trying to download the file stdcxx-4.2.1.tar.gz from
www.apache.org/dist/stdcxx/ using Firefox 3.0.3 (Using Windows XP SP2.).

Small files download ok, e.g. the MD5 sum files, but large files e.g.
stdcxx-4.2.1.tar.gz and stdcxx-incubating-4.2.0.tar.gz are giving a file
truncation problem.

The Firefox download in progress displays the file size of 6.9 MB in the
download dialog. The download appears to complete ssuccessfully, but the
file size actually stored on my disk drive is only 4.6 MB. The MD5 checksum
calculated on the truncated file, of course does not match the value
provided by the Apache web site.

When I try to unpack the stdcxx-4.2.1.tar.gz file, using 7-Zip 4.57, the .gz
opens ok, but when I open the .tar, at "95% Copying" I get a "Data error in
'stdcxx-4.2.1.tar'. File is broken" message. WinZip gave me similar
problems.

Internet Explorer 6.0 -- displays the file size of 6.9 MB in the download
dialog, and indicates a successful completion of transfer, but the file size
actually stored is only 4.6 MB. (Same as with Firefox 3.0.3).

I have downloaded lots of binary files much bigger than these stdcxx files,
from other sites, using Firefox 3.0.3, without any problems.

* * *
* * *

Using FileZilla with archive.apache.org 80, I get the following log:

   Status:	Selected port usually in use by a different protocol.
   Status:	Resolving address of archive.apache.org
   Status:	Connecting to 140.211.11.130:80...
   Status:	Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
   Error:	Connection timed out
   Trace:	CFtpControlSocket::ResetOperation(2114)
   Trace:	CControlSocket::ResetOperation(2114)
   Error:	Could not connect to server

but FileZilla works fine with other sites.

Using command line ftp, the connection times out:

   ftp> open www.apache.org 80
   Connected to www.apache.org.
   Connection closed by remote host.

   ftp> open www.apache.org 80
   Connected to www.apache.org.
   Connection closed by remote host.

but I can connect with command line ftp to other sites with no problem.

* * *
* * *

I use Kaspersky Internet Security, and I have downloaded lots of binary
files much bigger than these stdcxx files, using Firefox 3.0.3, without any
problems.

I tried disabling the Kaspersky firewall, and then diabling all of
Kaspersky, but I still get the same file truncation problem with
stdcxx-s4.2.1.tar.gz.

I can connect ok to other ftp sites with Kaspersky firewall enabled.

* * *
* * *

I really want to use the Apache C++ Standard Library with the GNU C++
compiler, because the Apache product seems to me to be superior to what
comes with G++.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Re: File truncation Problem Downloading stdcxx-4.2.1.tar.gz

Posted by Martin Sebor <ms...@gmail.com>.
Steve Petrie wrote:
> I tried your suggestion of using an Apache mirror. I picked:
>
>    mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca
>
> and it worked fine -- Firefox 3.0.3 downloaded the file stdcxx-4.2.1.tar.gz
> WITHOUT TRUNCATION.
>
> The MD5 checksum on the file is correct.
>
> 7-Zip opened the .gx and the .tar without error, and extracted both without
> error, creating what looks like a valid directory tree with around 48 MB of
> files.
>
> * * *
> * * *

Good to hear!

> I'm going to try the download again from the Apache web site Downloads page,
> to make sure that the file truncation problem still exists with that site.
> I'll let you know ONLY if the problem DOES NOT exist anymore.
>
> If the problem still exists, and Apache wants to try to fix the problem on
> the Apache web site, just let me know and I'll be happy to act as tester
> with Firefox 3.0.3 under Windows XP (SP2).

Thanks for the offer.

Martin

Posted by Steve Petrie <ap...@attglobal.net>.

Posted by Martin Sebor <ms...@gmail.com>.