Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Theresa Jayne Forster <th...@inbrand.co.uk> on 2011/05/11 10:16:25 UTC

Determine font names to use

I am slowly getting through this minefield,

For the AutoReg fonts, how do we determine the names to use in the XML

I have been trying the following and am getting annoying and conflicting
results.

The text in the xsl is

<fo:block font-family="FrutigerNormal" font-weight="normal"
font-style="normal" font-size="15pt" text-align="left">

This is supposed to be in Frutiger Normal to test the auto-detect fonts

</fo:block>

Error is

2011-05-11 09:01:21,837 [main] WARN  org.apache.fop.apps.FOUserAgent - Font
"FrutigerNormal,normal,400" not found. Substituting with "any,normal,400".

Next change.

Text in the xsl is changed to

<fo:block font-family="Frutiger" font-weight="normal" font-style="normal"
font-size="15pt" text-align="left">

This is supposed to be in Frutiger Normal to test the auto-detect
fonts</fo:block>

FOP works fine,

Adobe responds however with a large bullet on the page and the popup "Cannot
find or create the font 'FrutigerLight'. Some Characters may not display or
print correctly.

FOP log shows

2011-05-11 09:04:11,918 [main] WARN  org.apache.fop.apps.FOUserAgent - Font
"Frutiger,normal,400" not found. Substituting with Frutiger,normal,200".

Ok lets try it one more time.

<fo:block font-family="Frutiger" font-weight="light" font-style="normal"
font-size="15pt" text-align="left">

This is supposed to be in Frutiger Normal to test the auto-detect fonts
</fo:block>

Popup the same,

Log the same

2011-05-11 09:07:31,919 [main] WARN  org.apache.fop.apps.FOUserAgent - Font
"Frutiger,normal,400" not found. Substituting with "Frutiger,normal,200".

Ok that's strange its not accepting the font-weight param anymore (the old
version of Fop worked fine.)

Change the XSL to font-weight="200" and there is no error in the FOP logs
but still the same error on the PDF.

So, how do we use these fonts and how do you find the names needed to use
them properly ?

The fopconfig.xml is as follows.

                <renderer mime="application/pdf">

                <fonts>

                                <directory
recursive="true">C:/Runtime/Fonts</directory>

                                <auto-detect/>

                </fonts>

                </renderer>

Kindest regards

Theresa Forster

Senior Software Developer

 <ma...@inbrand.co.uk> theresa@inbrand.co.uk
 <http://www.inbrand.co.uk/> www.inbrand.co.uk

Tel: 01483 266500

IMPORTANT NOTE: This transmission has been sent by or on behalf of In Brand
Software Ltd. The information in this transmission is for the intended
addressee only and is confidential to that intended addressee. If either you
know or you ought reasonably to conclude that you are not, or may not be,
the intended addressee, you are hereby given notice that any unauthorised
dissemination or copying of this transmission and any disclosure or use of
the information
transmitted is strictly prohibited and may be illegal. In such circumstances
we ask for your assistance in notifying us immediately by e-mail, telephone
or letter.

InBrand Software Ltd Registered in England No. 5131004 Registered Office:
The Old Barn, Ewhurst Road, Cranleigh GU6 7EF

RE: Determine font names to use

Posted by Theresa Jayne Forster <th...@inbrand.co.uk>.
Thanks for the information but I am using FOP as an api within a tomcat app so while it may help as a standalone thing, I was hoping to be able to get the actual names programmatically so that I could generate a list in the app of installed fonts on the JS editor.

Theresa

--
Pascal

Re: Determine font names to use