Posted to dev@crunch.apache.org by Gabriel Reid <ga...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/04 21:01:59 UTC

Re: Karma for Site-SVN needed

Hi guys,

Just to check: the one thing we're waiting on for this is INFRA-5092 [1], and once the CMS is enabled then the site will automatically be up, with the next step being the committing of the site content that Matthias has done into svn under [2], and with those two things taken care of then we'll have a working site up at [3] -- is that all correct?

If there are any other points that are missing (and for which I can take some action on), anyone who can point me in the right direction?

I guess we've still got a short little while before the release for the INFRA issue to happen, but should that not happen, what do you think of just putting in a redirect to the wiki [4]? Any idea if that's technically easy/possible?

If I can help out on this, I really want to (in the last couple of days before I'm on vacation and away from internet access for a bit) -- I would also particularly like to take some of the pressure off of Matthias on this if possible (if that's ok for you Matthias!), as he's been pretty alone on taking care of this stuff so far.

- Gabriel

[2] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/crunch
[3] http://incubator.apache.org/crunch/
[4] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CRUNCH/Index

Re: Karma for Site-SVN needed

Posted by Matthias Friedrich <ma...@mafr.de>.
Hi,

On Wednesday, 2012-09-05, Rahul wrote:
> I am not completely sure on this but as per my understanding, when
> the ticket gets completed the the site will be published to a
> staging domain[1] and then someone would be required to deploy it to
> have a working site. Every time a commit is being done in SVN the
> staging will  be updated and then someone should publish it.

Yes, you're right. But since we already tested the mechanism of creating
the site this should only require the press of a button (or two). I've
already checked that I'm able to log into the CMS, but of course,
authentication and authorization are two different things :)

Regards,
  Matthias

Re: Karma for Site-SVN needed

Posted by Rahul <rs...@xebia.com>.
Guys,

I am not completely sure on this but as per my understanding, when the
ticket gets completed the the site will be published to a staging
domain[1] and then someone would be required to deploy it to have a
working site. Every time a commit is being done in SVN the staging will
be updated and then someone should publish it.

- Rahul

Re: Karma for Site-SVN needed

Posted by Gabriel Reid <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matthias,

Re: Karma for Site-SVN needed

Posted by Matthias Friedrich <ma...@mafr.de>.
Hi Gabriel,

On Tuesday, 2012-09-04, Gabriel Reid wrote:
> Just to check: the one thing we're waiting on for this is INFRA-5092
> [1], and once the CMS is enabled then the site will automatically be
> up, with the next step being the committing of the site content that
> Matthias has done into svn under [2], and with those two things
> taken care of then we'll have a working site up at [3] -- is that
> all correct?

Yes, that's it exactly. I could have committed the site immediately
but I figured it's easier to debug the almost empty default template
from INFRA in case there are problems. I've never seen the CMS in
action, just the page generator so you never know.

> If there are any other points that are missing (and for which I can
> take some action on), anyone who can point me in the right
> direction?

Hmm, except for a download page I think it's pretty much done. We
could always use a getting started page though that explains how to
set up a new project with Maven. But since there's no release vote
on the site there's no deadline on that.

BTW, I'm currently working on an archetype that should streamline
project setup and make things easier to explain.

> I guess we've still got a short little while before the release for
> the INFRA issue to happen, but should that not happen, what do you
> think of just putting in a redirect to the wiki [4]? Any idea if
> that's technically easy/possible?

Technically possible yes, but a second ticket to INFRA will probably
take longer than getting the CMS configured. And then we'd have to
get the redirect removed which is going to take another ticket.

> If I can help out on this, I really want to (in the last couple of
> days before I'm on vacation and away from internet access for a bit)
> -- I would also particularly like to take some of the pressure off
> of Matthias on this if possible (if that's ok for you Matthias!), as
> he's been pretty alone on taking care of this stuff so far.

Thank you, Gabriel, much appreciated! As I said, I don't think there's
anything that really needs to be done right now, but we should
distribute knowlege in case I'm run over by a bus ;-)

I have attached the site to CRUNCH-56 [5]. If you want to run INFRA's
page generator locally, you have to check out [6], change to the
directory and run the markdownd daemon (you may need to install some
dependencies, for me it was only python-markdown):

  export MARKDOWN_SOCKET=`pwd`/markdown.socket
  export PYTHONPATH=`pwd`
  python markdownd.py

Then run the build_site.pl script: