Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Roger B.A. Klorese" <ro...@queernet.org> on 2003/06/17 17:53:42 UTC

[users@httpd] Mass Virtual Hosting Q's

Is it possible to have separate log files and ServerAdmins for mass
virtual hosts?

Re: [users@httpd] Mass Virtual Hosting Q's

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Roger B.A. Klorese wrote:

> Is it possible to have separate log files and ServerAdmins for mass
> virtual hosts?

log files: Use a piped logging script to split out the log files.  See
split-logfile in the support/ directory of the apache source for an
example.

ServerAdmin: No, but you can easily create custom ErrorDocuments that
could look up the appropriate admins.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Mass Virtual Hosting Q's

Posted by Michael A Nachbaur <mi...@nachbaur.com>.
I use mod_rewrite to do my mass virtual hosting, and use a custom-tuned
version of the Mandrake "advxsplitlogfile".  I use mod_rewrite to set an
environment variable indicating the domain name of the virtual host, and use
that to write to the appropriate log file.  If you want a copy of the script,
just lemme know.

Michael A Nachbaur <mi...@nachbaur.com>

Re: [users@httpd] Mass Virtual Hosting Q's

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
Roger B.A. Klorese wrote:
> Note that I asked about MASS VIRTUAL HOSTING specifically.  These are
> of course possible with explicitly defined virtual hosts, or with separate
> instances.  I asked about mass virtual hosting.

Yes, and I assume you're using mod_vhost_alias for it?

Either way, you can pipe the log to either a custom script or eg. cronolog.
Just define a log format that includes either a "%V" or "%{Host}i"
directive. More reading:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_log_config.html#formats

Regards,
Robert Andersson

Re: [users@httpd] Mass Virtual Hosting Q's

Posted by "Roger B.A. Klorese" <ro...@queernet.org>.
Roger B.A. Klorese wrote:

>If this is the part you mean, it tells me how to burst and rotate a
>consolidated log.  It doesn't really tell me if I can avoid generating a
>consolidated log in the first place.

And, after RTFM-ing, I see the beginnings of how I can use a pipe in the
log directives to help with this, probably.  Thanks, whoever-stuff-is.

RE: [users@httpd] Mass Virtual Hosting Q's

Posted by "Roger B.A. Klorese" <ro...@queernet.org>.
> And note that I took the time to provide you with an answer to one of
> your questions along with information about your other.

Really?

> >> I use an open source app called Cronolog - http://cronolog.org/ to
> >> create separate log files. It also handles the name lookups so you
> >> can turn that off in apache.

If this is the part you mean, it tells me how to burst and rotate a
consolidated log.  It doesn't really tell me if I can avoid generating a
consolidated log in the first place.  Since our users want log access based
on lots of different parameters, and want it live, a bursting-and-rotating
strategy doesn't work for us.  That's why I asked if the mass virtual
hosting code could do it -- I'm sure I could write a script to separate it
too.

If I wasn't clear enough as to asking whether it could be done BY APACHE, my
apology.

Re: [users@httpd] Mass Virtual Hosting Q's

Posted by Dale's Stuff <st...@colony.net>.

On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 02:42 PM, Roger B.A. Klorese wrote:

>> Sure,
>>
>> I use an open source app called Cronolog - http://cronolog.org/ to
>> create separate log files. It also handles the name lookups
>> so you can
>> turn that off in apache.
>>
>> If you run multiple instances of apache you should be able to use
>> Webmin to manage those(but then you are already on the webmin list
>> anyway so you know that).
>
> Note that I asked about MASS VIRTUAL HOSTING specifically.  These are
> of
> course possible with explicitly defined virtual hosts, or with separate
> instances.  I asked about mass virtual hosting.

And your definition of 'mass virtual hosting' vs. 'explicitly defined
virtual hosts'?  And are you saying you can't host massive numbers of
virtual hosts with multiple instances of apache?

Still the same old Roger I see.

RE: [users@httpd] Mass Virtual Hosting Q's

Posted by "Roger B.A. Klorese" <ro...@queernet.org>.

Posted by Dale's Stuff <st...@colony.net>.
Sure,

I use an open source app called Cronolog - http://cronolog.org/ to
create separate log files. It also handles the name lookups so you can
turn that off in apache.

If you run multiple instances of apache you should be able to use
Webmin to manage those(but then you are already on the webmin list
anyway so you know that).

Dale