Posted to dev@metamodel.apache.org by Kasper Sørensen <i....@gmail.com> on 2013/11/22 11:44:26 UTC

[DISCUSS] Bylaws, CTR or RTC, and lazy concensus

Hi all,

For some time we've had this DRAFT bylaws document on the wiki:
https://wiki.apache.org/metamodel/Bylaws

As Noah pointed out in another thread [1], the current bylaws wiki page
raises a few concerns. And the question of Commit-The-Review (CTR) or
Review-Then-Commit (RTC) is once again opened.

I call for a discussion on what people's preferences are in terms of the
things we want to have in our bylaws. The current wiki page is a very close
adaptation of the Kafka project's bylaws, and maybe that was a wrong move,
seeing that it didn't leave much room for us to come up with something from
our own standpoints.

My personal feelings on bylaws: I am thinking maybe we can cut down on the
number of things we want to regulate, to make our own life easier. I think
committers could be granted the right to follow a CTR process.
Contributions from newcomers should obviously by reviewed by submitting
patch files or pull requests and having a voting/approval procedure. Lazy
concensus in such situations would maybe require more than 1 vote (2 or 3),
since it's coming from a newcomer.

Hope to get a lot of valuable feedback on this. And if anyone wants to take
the lead on the bylaws I would be grateful, since I am myself a bit of a
newcomer in this area!

Kasper

[1] Called "How to vote on a patch in JIRA".

Re: [DISCUSS] Bylaws, CTR or RTC, and lazy concensus

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Our by-laws, at a very minimum, should include:

- Definitions of roles
- Definitions of voting rules
- Decision categories and the associated voting rules

I am +1 for CTR.

I think that we should trust committers to perform whatever review is
necessary before committing somebody else's changeset/patch. That is,
if a committer spots a patch that they like, they are free to commit
that using CTR.

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater

Re: [DISCUSS] Bylaws, CTR or RTC, and lazy concensus

Posted by Matt Franklin <m....@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.