Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com> on 2008/06/13 15:14:05 UTC

buildconf and apr source

If you try building from svn, buildconf complains of no
apr/apr-util source.

Why does buildconf actually need the sources?
Shouldn't an installed version be sufficient?

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/

Re: buildconf and apr source

Posted by "Brian J. France" <li...@firehawksystems.com>.
On Jun 13, 2008, at 9:14 AM, Nick Kew wrote:
> If you try building from svn, buildconf complains of no
> apr/apr-util source.
>
> Why does buildconf actually need the sources?
> Shouldn't an installed version be sufficient?

Glad to see I am not the only one confused by this.  I have been
working on a new build at work and added new patches that require ./
buildconf to be run, couldn't figure out why it needed the source
either since I have apr/apr-util installed already.

Brian

Re: buildconf and apr source

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org>.
On Jun 13, 2008, at 6:14 AM, Nick Kew wrote:

> If you try building from svn, buildconf complains of no
> apr/apr-util source.
>
> Why does buildconf actually need the sources?
> Shouldn't an installed version be sufficient?

Because it wants to copy in things like find_apr.m4 and find_apu.m4
(which were last substantially changed in 2005).

> echo copying build files
> cp $apr_src_dir/build/config.guess $apr_src_dir/build/config.sub \
>    $apr_src_dir/build/PrintPath $apr_src_dir/build/apr_common.m4 \
>    $apr_src_dir/build/find_apr.m4 $apu_src_dir/build/find_apu.m4 build

These sit in the build subdirectory of httpd, but are not part of the
source tree.  You don't see them because they're in svn:ignore.

> [sctemme@Legadema] build $ svn propget svn:ignore
> rules.mk
> config_vars.mk
> apr_common.m4
> find_apr.m4
> find_apu.m4
> ltconfig
> ltmain.sh
> PrintPath
> config.sub
> config.guess
> config_vars.sh

If we were to steal these scripts, methinks we could easily buildconf
without APR and APU sources, and just need an installed copy come ./
configure time.

S.

--
Sander Temme