Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org> on 2002/04/09 10:00:02 UTC

Mailman for Jakarta/Apache?

Hi,

Is there any desire to get a mailman interface to the Apache mailing lists?
(For those of you who don't know it is the same interface used at sourceforge
- but their archives suck so we can use our own for that.)

The reason being that I have received a bunch of admin emails over last few
days from people who could have handled it them selves if a mailman
styleinterface was available.

Thoughts on this?

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: Mailman for Jakarta/Apache?

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Cool...thats kinda what I thought.

On Wed, 2002-04-10 at 23:32, James Duncan Davidson wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 9, 2002, at 05:00 , Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>
> > My only question starts with a P.  With the amount of volume Jakarta a/o
> > Apache gets, can Mailman hold up?  (I've no idea, I'm asking)...  If so,
> > then god yes... I'm too stupid to remember the syntax of those commands
> > and have to email the thing to send me the help page all the time...
>
> Brian has tried several things to use for lists. This is how we've
> settled on qmail/ezmlm. Most anything else isn't going to handle the
> kind of load that goes through the server. Hell, Jakarta is running its
> lists on nagoya partially because of load reasons.
>
> The right place for this kind of discussion is infrastructure@ -- but
> lots of effort has already gone into how to run these lists....

http://www.superlinksoftware.com
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi - port of Excel/Word/OLE 2 Compound
Document
                            format to java
			- fix java generics!
vote.
-Ambassador Kosh

Re: Mailman for Jakarta/Apache?

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <du...@x180.net>.

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 04:00, Peter Donald wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there any desire to get a mailman interface to the Apache mailing lists?
>> (For those of you who don't know it is the same interface used at sourceforge
>> - but their archives suck so we can use our own for that.)
>
> We can use our own to suck?  ;-)  (sorry couldn't resist)

:-)

>> The reason being that I have received a bunch of admin emails over last few
>> days from people who could have handled it them selves if a mailman
>> styleinterface was available.
>>
>> Thoughts on this?
>
> My only question starts with a P.  With the amount of volume Jakarta a/o
> Apache gets, can Mailman hold up?  (I've no idea, I'm asking)...  If so,
> then god yes... I'm too stupid to remember the syntax of those commands
> and have to email the thing to send me the help page all the time...

Currently we're using EZMLM/QMAIL which are a good solution, but not the
optimal one (IMO). Over time I'm noticing how postfix is somehow better than
Qmail, the only problem is that EZMLM is just so friggin' cute...

With the amount of messages we generate (only for Jakarta.apache.org we're
around 600.000 deliveries per day) switching infrastructure is a _big_
problem, but since I'm paid by my employer to do something similar
(newsletter generator), something good might come out of it...

Maybe in 6 months from now we'd be able to switch to something better, but
for now, let's not touch it too much... And if someone wants to come along
and do a web-interface for ezmlm (not those crap ones available), I'm all
ears...

    Pier

--
I think that it's extremely foolish to name a server after the current U.S.
President.                                                 B.W. Fitzpatrick

Re: Mailman for Jakarta/Apache?

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 04:00, Peter Donald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any desire to get a mailman interface to the Apache mailing lists?
> (For those of you who don't know it is the same interface used at sourceforge
> - but their archives suck so we can use our own for that.)

We can use our own to suck?  ;-)  (sorry couldn't resist)

> The reason being that I have received a bunch of admin emails over last few
> days from people who could have handled it them selves if a mailman
> styleinterface was available.
>
> Thoughts on this?

My only question starts with a P.  With the amount of volume Jakarta a/o
Apache gets, can Mailman hold up?  (I've no idea, I'm asking)...  If so,
then god yes... I'm too stupid to remember the syntax of those commands
and have to email the thing to send me the help page all the time...

-Andy