Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Raghu Kanchustambham <ra...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/03 06:55:27 UTC

Struts based opensource e-Learning/Distance Learning framework

Hi,
I am interested in building a e-Learning/Distance learning framework. Was
wondering if there is any framework that exists that I can use as a starting
point.

First preference would be for a struts based application since I need to
integrate it with my existing struts code. But anything in Java/J2EE would
also suit my bill. And yes, if not that, I am willing to experiment with
some thing like a java-php bridge if someone vouches for an excellent
e-learning framework written in (say) php.

Any of the struts users here have any pointers to any open source projects
for education?

Thanks.
Regards,
Raghu

Re: Struts based opensource e-Learning/Distance Learning framework

Posted by Christopher Goldman <cg...@dhapdigital.com>.
On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 10:25 +0530, Raghu Kanchustambham wrote:
> Hi,
> I am interested in building a e-Learning/Distance learning framework. Was
> wondering if there is any framework that exists that I can use as a starting
> point.
>
> First preference would be for a struts based application since I need to
> integrate it with my existing struts code. But anything in Java/J2EE would
> also suit my bill. And yes, if not that, I am willing to experiment with
> some thing like a java-php bridge if someone vouches for an excellent
> e-learning framework written in (say) php.
>

> Any of the struts users here have any pointers to any open source projects
> for education?
>
> Thanks.
> Regards,
> Raghu

Raghu,

There was an article on Slashdot yesterday [1] about an online learning
provider, Blackboard, patenting their Learning Management System, and
there were some links there to other examples of that sort of software:

Moodle [PHP]
http://moodle.org/

Dokeos [PHP]
http://www.dokeos.com/

The LearningOnline Network with CAPA [Tcl]
http://www.lon-capa.org/

.LRN (Learn, Research, Network) [OpenACS/AOLserver/Tcl]
http://www.dotlrn.org/

Sakai [Java, though seemingly not Struts]
http://sakaiproject.org/

I don't know how many (if any) are focussed on distance learning, as
opposed to general course and student management, but maybe it can be a
starting point.

Chris

[1] http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/02/1217219

--
Christopher D. Goldman
cgoldman@dhapdigital.com

RE: Struts based opensource e-Learning/Distance Learning framework

Posted by Tejas Bavishi <te...@patni.com>.
Hi

I doubt if there are any ready made frameworks such as the ones you are
looking for. Probably, you are going to have to write one on your own.
Also, you can publish the framework once done or may be start it as a
project on sourceforge.

It will be interesting to see what others have to say on this.

Thanks
Tejas

I am interested in building a e-Learning/Distance learning framework. Was
wondering if there is any framework that exists that I can use as a starting
point.

First preference would be for a struts based application since I need to
integrate it with my existing struts code. But anything in Java/J2EE would
also suit my bill. And yes, if not that, I am willing to experiment with
some thing like a java-php bridge if someone vouches for an excellent
e-learning framework written in (say) php.

Any of the struts users here have any pointers to any open source projects
for education?

Thanks.
Regards,
Raghu

http://www.patni.com

kindly delete  this e-mail from your records. If it appears that this
us immediately at netadmin@patni.com and delete this mail.