Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Eric Persson <er...@persson.tm> on 2006/08/29 20:57:53 UTC

Perfect spamassassin setup?

This might be a shot in the dark, but after running a patched qmail,
qmailscanner with spamassassin and mysqlsupport for a while and a
selfdeveloped webinterface, we've started to look around what others are
using?

Is there any project that combines the strength of spamassassin, mysql
and a good webinterface to act as a antispamfrontend of a "normal"
mailserver?

Any suggestions, in terms of packages or bundled systems is appreciated.
Preferrably open source and free to use.

Thanks,
	Eric

Re: Perfect spamassassin setup?

Posted by Robert LeBlanc <rj...@renaissoft.com>.
jdow wrote:
> From: "Stuart Johnston" <st...@ebby.com>
>
>> Eric Persson wrote:
>>
>>> This might be a shot in the dark, but after running a patched qmail,
>>> qmailscanner with spamassassin and mysqlsupport for a while and a
>>> selfdeveloped webinterface, we've started to look around what others are
>>> using?
>>>
>>> Is there any project that combines the strength of spamassassin, mysql
>>> and a good webinterface to act as a antispamfrontend of a "normal"
>>> mailserver?
>>>
>>> Any suggestions, in terms of packages or bundled systems is appreciated.
>>> Preferrably open source and free to use.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Eric
>>

>> http://www.maiamailguard.com/
>

> "...web-based interface..." is where it lost me on the first line of
> text. I will not voluntarily use web-based email interfaces. They are
> the direct spawn of Satan.

In fairness, you might have benefitted from reading a bit further.  Maia
Mailguard is not a webmail client or anything of the sort--it's a
web-based interface to antivirus/antispam tools like SpamAssassin.  The
web interface is used to let users and administrators manage their
filter settings, edit whitelists and blacklists, report spam, and
release quarantined mail on their own.  It can't be used to compose,
send, or reply to mail, it's strictly an administrative interface.

--
Robert LeBlanc <rj...@renaissoft.com>
Renaissoft, Inc.

Re: Perfect spamassassin setup?

Posted by Burton Windle <bw...@fint.org>.
On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, jdow wrote:

> From: "Stuart Johnston" <st...@ebby.com>
>> Eric Persson wrote:
>>> Is there any project that combines the strength of spamassassin, mysql
>>> and a good webinterface to act as a antispamfrontend of a "normal"
>>> mailserver?
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Eric
>>
>> http://www.maiamailguard.com/
>
> "...web-based interface..." is where it lost me on the first line of
> text. I will not voluntarily use web-based email interfaces. They are
> the direct spawn of Satan.
>
> {^_^}

I've personally used Maia at my company, filtering email for about 450
users. It did a great job filtering (of course, since it uses SA on the
back-end) and the UI was clean and intuitive. I found it a touch rough in
a few minor places, but all the issues I had are already fixed in CVS.

The install wasn't for the novice, but the install doc did a pretty good
job of detailing what needed to be done.

--
Burton Windle                           bwindle@fint.org

Re: Perfect spamassassin setup?

Posted by Eric Persson <er...@persson.tm>.
Stuart Johnston wrote:
> jdow wrote:
>> From: "Stuart Johnston" <st...@ebby.com>

>>> http://www.maiamailguard.com/
>>
>> "...web-based interface..." is where it lost me on the first line of
>> text. I will not voluntarily use web-based email interfaces. They are
>> the direct spawn of Satan.
>
> Well that's fine but I was not recommending Maia to *you*.  I was
> recommending it to Eric Persson who specifically asked for "a good
> webinterface".

And I'm thankful for that, it seems like most people recommend maia
mailguard, and as someone else pointed out I where looking for an
administrative webinterface for SA.
For webmailinterface I tend to use squirrelmail, which tends to be a
nightmare to develop addons to, probably since its a work of satan. :)
I'm impressed by the developers of squirrelmail how they can navigate
their way around that bloat of code. :)

Posted by Stuart Johnston <st...@ebby.com>.

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, jdow wrote:

> "...web-based interface..." is where it lost me on the first line of
> text. I will not voluntarily use web-based email interfaces. They are
> the direct spawn of Satan.

...so what is MS Exchange's web email interface? Spawn of Satan^2
(which is nicely alliterative to boot)?

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ    ICQ#15735746    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
 jhardin@impsec.org    FALaholic #11174    pgpk -a jhardin@impsec.org

Re: Perfect spamassassin setup?

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Stuart Johnston" <st...@ebby.com>

Posted by Stuart Johnston <st...@ebby.com>.

http://www.maiamailguard.com/

Re: Perfect spamassassin setup?

Posted by DAve <da...@pixelhammer.com>.
Ken A wrote:

> DAve wrote:
>> Ken A wrote:
>>> http://mailwatch.sourceforge.net/
>>>
>>> Doesn't do per user SA rule scores since it works with MailScanner,
>>> and MailScanner doesn't support that, but does do pretty much
>>> everything else SA, clamav and MailScanner do, including logging to
>>> mysql, quarantine & release, plus some pretty graphs.
>>
>> Yes it will do per user scores as it comes with a CustomFunction to
>> pull the user supplied score from it's SQL DB.
>
> It does per user spam handling thresholds, but that's not the same thing
> as "per user SA rule scores" like you can do with SpamAssassin alone at
> the LDA? Maybe I should have said "per user, per rule scores"?

Ahh I see what you meant, no you cannot have a rule used only for a
specific user, or a rule return a score value based on a specific user.

Well you can, but it takes a meta rule and a user willing to pay for the
privilege ;^)

DAve

> Ken A.
> Pacific.Net
>
> It also follows MailScanner's
>> 'spam score' and 'high scoring spam' idea. You can change your action
>> depending on what score level the message achieves.
>>
>> Installing on multiple mailgateways can be a bit tricky but there are
>> plenty who have done it, us included, who can help. I think it is a
>> bit rough around the edges, my designers fixed plenty of html, and we
>> massaged a lot of code to get it where we wanted. Overall it is a good
>> concept, works well, and fills a needed space.
>>
>> They have a mail list and several users are here and on the
>> MailScanner list as well.
>>
>> DAve
>>

>>> Ken A.
>>> Pacific.Net

Veterans?

Re: Perfect spamassassin setup?

Posted by Ken A <ka...@pacific.net>.

Posted by DAve <da...@pixelhammer.com>.
Ken A wrote:
> http://mailwatch.sourceforge.net/
>
> Doesn't do per user SA rule scores since it works with MailScanner, and
> MailScanner doesn't support that, but does do pretty much everything
> else SA, clamav and MailScanner do, including logging to mysql,
> quarantine & release, plus some pretty graphs.

Yes it will do per user scores as it comes with a CustomFunction to pull
the user supplied score from it's SQL DB. It also follows MailScanner's
'spam score' and 'high scoring spam' idea. You can change your action
depending on what score level the message achieves.

Installing on multiple mailgateways can be a bit tricky but there are
plenty who have done it, us included, who can help. I think it is a bit
rough around the edges, my designers fixed plenty of html, and we
massaged a lot of code to get it where we wanted. Overall it is a good
concept, works well, and fills a needed space.

They have a mail list and several users are here and on the MailScanner
list as well.

DAve

> Ken A.
> Pacific.Net
>
> Eric Persson wrote:
>> This might be a shot in the dark, but after running a patched qmail,
>> qmailscanner with spamassassin and mysqlsupport for a while and a
>> selfdeveloped webinterface, we've started to look around what others are
>> using?
>>
>> Is there any project that combines the strength of spamassassin, mysql
>> and a good webinterface to act as a antispamfrontend of a "normal"
>> mailserver?
>>
>> Any suggestions, in terms of packages or bundled systems is appreciated.
>> Preferrably open source and free to use.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>     Eric

Veterans?

Re: Perfect spamassassin setup?