Posted to user@poi.apache.org by "Ahmed, Sana R (IS)" <Sa...@ngc.com> on 2009/03/24 19:09:55 UTC

Unable to Extract from Chinese PowerPoint

Hi.

I am trying to use the PowerPointExtractor class to extract text from a Chinese powerpoint document.  I have been able to successfully extract text from other Chinese powerpoint documents, but with this particular document I am getting the following exception.

The Current User stream must be at least 28 bytes long, but was only 7
not continuing anyways
org.apache.poi.hslf.exceptions.CorruptPowerPointFileException: The Current User stream must be at least 28 bytes long, but was only 7
 at org.apache.poi.hslf.record.CurrentUserAtom.<init>(CurrentUserAtom.java:120)
 at org.apache.poi.hslf.HSLFSlideShow.readCurrentUserStream(HSLFSlideShow.java:276)
 at org.apache.poi.hslf.HSLFSlideShow.<init>(HSLFSlideShow.java:133)
 at org.apache.poi.hslf.HSLFSlideShow.<init>(HSLFSlideShow.java:115)
 at org.apache.poi.hslf.extractor.PowerPointExtractor.<init>(PowerPointExtractor.java:98)
 at org.apache.poi.hslf.extractor.PowerPointExtractor.<init>(PowerPointExtractor.java:91)
 at org.apache.poi.hslf.extractor.PowerPointExtractor.<init>(PowerPointExtractor.java:84)
 at TestPW.main(TestPW.java:15)

I know that this is a valid PowerPoint since I am able to open it up and view it using Microsoft PowerPoint.  This issue is happening with a handful of files  What could be causing this problem, and how can I overcome it?

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Sana

Re: Unable to Extract from Chinese PowerPoint

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.
On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, Ahmed, Sana R (IS) wrote:
> The Current User stream must be at least 28 bytes long, but was only 7
> not continuing anyways

Is it really a powerpoint 97 or newer file? You most commonly get this
error when trying with really old powerpoint files (pre office 97). Try
re-saving it as powerpoint 97 and try again

Nick