Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Nathan Benson <tu...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/09 20:19:47 UTC

[users@httpd] Managing enterprise deployments of Apache

greetings fellow Apache users,

i've been looking around for solutions for managing enterprise (or
just larger) deployments of apache and have found some older projects
(comanche, mohawk, etc) that seem to be out of date and long since
abandoned.

i've also found the Novell Apache Manager which looks like what i'm
searching for, but it has next to no documentation.  it also seems to
be lacking pieces that would make it possible to use.

anyway, on to my point.  is there any OSS solutions (or any for that
matter, OSS or not) that anyone is using with success?  i'm looking
for the ability to manage current deployments/configurations
(httpd.conf) and roll out new deployments quickly and efficiently.

i figured i would ask the list before i started devoting my time to
rolling my own solution (that time would be better used contributing
to something already existing).

thanks for any ideas or information you have,
-nathan benson

Re: [users@httpd] Managing enterprise deployments of Apache

Posted by Nathan Benson <tu...@gmail.com>.
Dale,

thank you very much for the reply.  i checked out webmin and it looks
to provide some of the functionality i was looking for, but not quite
what i was looking for.

i was looking for a centrally managed place for all apache
deployments, one place where you could make a change to a particular
servers configuration file, the changes would then be pushed down to
the server, and then the server would restart.  ideally it would have
the ability to make global changes across all servers (or a group of
them).  for example, if i wanted to turn "HostnameLookups" on or off
across all servers, etc.

thanks again for your reply,
nathan benson

Posted by Dale's Stuff <st...@colony.net>.