Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by yishayw <yi...@hotmail.com> on 2016/12/07 07:42:44 UTC

[FlexJS] Flash Only Beads

What is the point of having flash only beads such as SolidBackgroundBead?
Doesn't it make sense to have a thin bead in html that at least allows me to
compile cross-platform? I don't mind adding a JS background bead, but I'd
like to hear if anyone has an argument for not doing so.

Re: [FlexJS] Flash Only Beads

Posted by yishayw <yi...@hotmail.com>.
Looking at the code and the documentation of SolidBackgroundBead again, I
don't know where I got the idea that styling won't work in flash. My only
remaining question is why it's in flat-manifest.xml. If we remove it users
won't use it in MXML, as they shouldn't.

Re: [FlexJS] Flash Only Beads

Posted by yishayw <yi...@hotmail.com>.
I was using it for a rect although we do have a dedicated component I could
have used instead. What Peter wrote makes sense but the documentation led me
to think styling only works in JS.

Re: [FlexJS] Flash Only Beads

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 12/7/16, 7:34 AM, "Peter Ent" <pe...@adobe.com> wrote:

>I believe the original intent was that beads like SolidBackgroundBead and
>SingleLineBorderBead weren't going to be "exposed" for use by developers.
>Rather, they support CSS background-color and border styles for the SWF
>side. For example, if you have a Container and give it those styles,
>FlexJS automatically adds in the SolidBackgroundBead and
>SingleLineBorderBead to the SWF version since the Flash player does not
>know how to supply a background or border to display objects; JS/HTML can
>do that so they aren't present.
>
>I may be wrong about this, but that's how I remember it.

That's correct.  We need to mark certain beads as only for certain
platforms and/or only for framework developers.  IMO, adding empty beads
would only make the code look like it had excess fat.  It wouldn't be very
PAYG.  Eventually, it would all add up to something.  I don't know about
you, but when I pack for a trip, I do not take the same quantity and list
of things as my wife.  The platforms are different, at some point the code
has to be different, and we want to encapsulate and re-use the code that
is different.

The question for Yishay is, what did you use SingleLineBorderBead for in
your app?  Was it just to draw a rectangle or something else?  It may just
mean we need another component.

-Alex

Re: [FlexJS] Flash Only Beads

Posted by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com>.
I believe the original intent was that beads like SolidBackgroundBead and
SingleLineBorderBead weren't going to be "exposed" for use by developers.
Rather, they support CSS background-color and border styles for the SWF
side. For example, if you have a Container and give it those styles,
FlexJS automatically adds in the SolidBackgroundBead and
SingleLineBorderBead to the SWF version since the Flash player does not
know how to supply a background or border to display objects; JS/HTML can
do that so they aren't present.

I may be wrong about this, but that's how I remember it.

‹peter

RE: [FlexJS] Flash Only Beads

RE: [FlexJS] Flash Only Beads

Posted by Yishay Weiss <yi...@hotmail.com>.
I agree. I just think it’s better to have the same source compile to flash and HTML, if only for testing purposes. Right now, if you use SolidBackgroundBead in your app it’ll compile for flash but not for HTML. We currently have a problem in our app that only manifests in HTML. It would be good if we could have a simple test case that could be tested in flash, debugged there, then tested in HTML and debugged there.