Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by "Stephen R. Scaffidi" <ss...@tripadvisor.com> on 2012/08/06 23:15:13 UTC

Possible patch to fix column comments with non-native SerDe

My team and I have been trying, with limited success, to use the COMMENT
feature of hive columns to maintain documentation for the tables and
columns in our data-warehouse built on hive. However, we use a number of
custom and non-native SerDes, and what happens to those tables is that
the comments always get overwritten with the string "from deserializer".

I've possibly found a way to work around this from within hive but I
want to get some insight from the hive-dev community to figure out
whether or not this is a patently bad idea and we are just setting
ourselves up for pain later on.

I won't go into all the details but it seems to work in our (so far)
limited testing. However, we are using hive 0.7.1 and the patch I am
sending is against master/HEAD.

Please let me know if this is an acceptable approach to preserving
column comments with non-native SerDes or not!

Re: Possible patch to fix column comments with non-native SerDe

Posted by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com>.
You'll need to update your serde to use the method call that takes comments.  See https://github.com/jghoman/haivvreo/commit/29ead1fe101baafa8e9844eaf92022cbe4846c6f for an example.

Posted by "Stephen R. Scaffidi" <ss...@tripadvisor.com>.

Posted by Stephen Scaffid <ss...@tripadvisor.com>.