Posted to dev@flume.apache.org by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com> on 2012/02/16 19:23:21 UTC

FlumeNG Tail source

Hello,

A student today told me that a tail source was not going to be
supported in FlumeNG. I know it's not currently implemented (other
than exec source tail -F). However is there a plan to specifically not
support a pure java tail source?

Brock

Re: FlumeNG Tail source

Posted by juhani connolly <ju...@cyberagent.co.jp>.
Hi Brock,

I contributed a tail source a while back, but after discussing it, the
concensus was that it was a major source of problems in OG(partially
because java can't track inodes), and that for cases where exec tail -F
wasn't good enough, that a custom programming that feeds an avro/thrift
source would be the best approach.